Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler burner not lighting but pilot is lit?

Options
tbolin
tbolin Member Posts: 1
Not sure if my question is in right area?I have a dunkirk boiler and it recently it will not put out heat. It is calling for heat ,circulating pump working but the burner is not lighting? But the pilot light is lit, but still nothing, i am trying to figure it out cause cannot really afford service calls with my disability. Thermostats are new and i had heat several days ago, flue is not blocked. Any advice and help would be very much appreciated THANKS!

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    Do you have an electric damper in the flue pipe? Many gas boilers have flue dampers that open when the burners fire up and close at the end of the cycle. If you have one the first thing that happens before the burners light is the dampers opens. If it isn't opening you can usually find a switch on the damper that can change it from "auto" to "hold open". That might get it to work until you can have it repaired. 

Do you have more than one thermostat? If so, does the boiler not function for any of them? Pictures of the boiler and controls would be helpful,  perhaps even a model number.  
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,834
    Options
    There are many different heating systems with different "sequence of operation" protocols. a model number of the heating unit is needed to determine what you have, and some pictures may be helpful
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    You stated that the pilot is lit.....is this an older boiler with a constant burning "standing pilot".....or does the pilot light each time the burner should come on?