Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Changing Automatic Air Valve on Utica 3 Boiler

DIYer123
DIYer123 Member Posts: 2
Greetings-
I have a a Utica 3 Starfire Boiler with a tankless water heater. It has 2 air valves, one on the air scoop and one on the boiler itself. I was able to change out the one on the air scoop. But the one on the boiler is stuck and I don'
t want to force it off. Does anyone know if that air valve is even necessary? If so, how can I free it without breaking or stripping something?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    I think the boiler jacket is hindering the removal. Remove the jacket if you have to. You could also remove the bushing the vent is screwed into. A vent on the boiler is usually not required
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,120
    That vent does assure the boiler has filled completely. The one on the air purger is doing most of the system air removal.

Screw the cap down and leave it.

If you do want to remove, try grabbing it at the actual stem that threads into the boiler, not the brass can. Possibly a thin channel locks?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • DIYer123
    DIYer123 Member Posts: 2
    The vent has been mineral-ed up for a few years. I suppose I can just leave it and just monitor the pressure gauge and let in some water now and then if pressure falls below 12 lbs. if that is what it helps do. I could use rust solvent, but I'm worried about that working its way into the hot water drinking supply through the reducer valve.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If you're not going to drain the boiler completely down, have someone make a video. You're going to get wet.
    After you get it off, put a small ball valve before it. Then you can close the valve and change out the next one.

steve