Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DHW Hot Water Recirculation with Indirect Heater

Options
Hi I'm using a boiler for space heating and an indirect hot water heater for DHW, are there any issues with using hot water recirculation with this set up? I can't imagine there would be since the source of the heat for the DHW shouldn't matter, right? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Comments

• heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Some Indirect water heater have a special place for the return line.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,290
    Options
    Hi @joodokick , Although your indirect should be able to keep up easily with any heat loss from a recirc line, I'd do what's possible to keep the recirc function efficient. I prefer "on demand" pumping as it prevents over 90% of the heat loss from a recirc line. I've dealt with recirc lines that triple the water heating bill. :# 24 hour pumping can cause erosion damage to any copper piping also. I'd also install valves so you can flush the line or tank individually along with a good, quiet spring check valve.

Yours, Larry
    kcopp
  • joodokick
    joodokick Member Posts: 3
    Options
    heathead said:

Some Indirect water heater have a special place for the return line.

Thanks, I have been having trouble finding one, hence the question.
  • joodokick
    joodokick Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi @joodokick , Although your indirect should be able to keep up easily with any heat loss from a recirc line, I'd do what's possible to keep the recirc function efficient. I prefer "on demand" pumping as it prevents over 90% of the heat loss from a recirc line. I've dealt with recirc lines that triple the water heating bill. :# 24 hour pumping can cause erosion damage to any copper piping also. I'd also install valves so you can flush the line or tank individually along with a good, quiet spring check valve.

Yours, Larry

Thank you, we were planning to go with a temperature controlled system, insulated pex lines (all within conditioned space) and all the appurtenances you recommend.