Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett AF and AFG, same motor?

MaxMercy
MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
Does anyone know if the AF and AFG use the same blower motor, and if so, do they use the blower wheel? My mom's AF motor is squalling and I have two good used AFG motors in my stock. The motor on my mom's AF looks smaller than either of the two AFGs parts motors I have, but the motor on my three year old AFG at my house seems to be the same smaller physical size as the one on mom's AF. I don't know how old the AF is at mom's but it would be at least 20 years old. Any help appreciated.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2020
    Yes, no. Same motor, different wheel. However, are you sure its the motor and not a loose/misaligned/out of balance wheel, the fuel unit squealing, or the coupling?
    And after you change the motor you are going to need to do a full combustion test (steady state, draft, smoke, analyzer/excess air) as now you changed the combustion.

Don't forget proper gap-.125 for AF, .030 for AFG
    steve
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 508
    edited October 2020
    Not sure, but it sounds like the motor, and it's intermittent. I have extra flex couplings and extra pumps as well. I have the parts so I don't mind shotgunning. I'm changing the nozzle, screen, filter, and filing the points while I'm there, so I was planning on doing combustion testing anyway.

Thanks for info and the reminder on setting the blower wheel gap. I would have forgotten the feeler gauges for sure!