Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil burner squealing like a pig???

jpf321
jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
I figured that I'd toss this tip out there since it's ramp-up season ..

If your #2 oil burner is beginning to "squeal" .. chances are that you need to replace your oil filter(s) .. the pump is working super hard to pull the oil through the clogged filters.

I replaced mine yesterday and the squeal is gone .. the oil sucking pig is happy again.

I have a Westwood TigerLoop Ultra with a spin-on FT100 as well as a cleanable pre-filter .. the prefilter was pretty clogged up with think icky black goop.

The pre-filter that I have is a 40-Micron Combu #70453

You might also notice my ITSA oil meter, which a dear friend from this Forum gave me as a present once (Thanks Chris!)

1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Squealing is usually high vacuum.
    So your filter, strainer, clogged/partially oil line, osv, and especially failing firomatics are all suspect.
    Also the fuel pump working outside its intended parameters.
    steve
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    Being an old house guy -- I ran into this all the time. It seemed every old house I bought had oil -- needing maintenance. Oil starvation will do this ... with a Tiger installed it is usually a dirty filter. When was the last time you replaced it ?

If the houses did not have a Tiger -- I put one in .. had the filter changed every year as part of the service.
    Dan_NJ
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    With all that stuff add a vacuum gauge at the burner inlet to see what's up ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    Hmm .. I guess I wasn't clear in my post, I was telling people why their oil burner may be squealing since I recently fixed my squeal and I wanted to pass along the tip. Yes, I have a vacuum gauge on the burner. Thanks.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited October 2020
    It could be the bearings are drying up on the Riello motor which are factory greased . To buy more time , remove pump , cup your hand over where the pump is inserted . Pour and hold some bearing oil against bearing and start up burner . It will buy you a few more years .... Night school
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all