Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hissing vent

ss8295
ss8295 Member Posts: 22
I have a one pipe steam heating system. On the radiator furthest from the boiler, on the opposite end of the house on a second floor, the vent does not stop hissing. No matter how many different vents I try they all hiss to some extent. Some more than others. It’s not super loud it’s a low tone hiss but nonetheless a audible hiss. I don’t see any steam escaping but if I put my finger near the vent hole my finger tip becomes a bit moist. Pressure cuts out at about 1.7psi. 

Comments

• retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    If that rad is on the end of the line and the room temperature is OK I would just leave it alone. If that room needs more heat I would double up on the rad vents, install a larger vent on the steam supply or change the way the steam supplies are vented. You could install a larger vent on the end of the steam supply that services that radiator.
  • ss8295
    If that rad is on the end of the line and the room temperature is OK I would just leave it alone. If that room needs more heat I would double up on the rad vents, install a larger vent on the steam supply or change the way the steam supplies are vented. You could install a larger vent on the end of the steam supply that services that radiator.
    The rad heats up just fine. It has a gorton D on it. The mains are vented with 2 gorton #2’s. I noticed when steam initially hits the rad and the air is vented the vent does close. But it seems as pressure builds up the vent eventually starts hissing. 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is the pigtail for the control and gauge clean?
    Partially plugged can give false readings and control operation.
  • ss8295
    JUGHNE said:
    Is the pigtail for the control and gauge clean? Partially plugged can give false readings and control operation.
    Yes they are clean. Only the vent in this specific rad hisses. All others do not. 
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    How long is the Main that radiator is attached to? Even with two Gorton #2's on that main, if the main has more air in it than those vents can vent during a cycle that causes the thermostat to reach temp, that radiator vent may be pushing air out that should be vented through the main vent.
    The other possibility is the system pressure. What is it set at? If high enough, it can blow a radiator vent open again. Check the pressure and don't assume that the Pressuretrol is accurate. Use a 0-3 PSI or a 0-5PSI gauge on the system to see what is really happening.
    ss8295
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    It may be the last one to finish venting
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • ss8295
    This is what my main vents are looking like right now. My mains are probably about 40-50ft. I do have a 0-3psi gauge on their. The hissing rad was relocated and I know the piping is incorrect since it collects water. I don’t see why that would cause a hissing vent but maybe it has something to do with it. 
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    To the radiator in question.

Does the radiator get hot all the way across the top and part way down the last section?

If not the vent valve will not close. The vent valve needs to feel the heat of the steam for the internal element to close. The element is either a bi-metal or or fluid filled element that responds to a set temperature.

Here is a suggestion! Try using a a Gorton D or equivalent (very high capacity vent valve) This will evacuate a lot of air and most probably allow steam into the radiator. At that point the valves should close.

Be sure that the radiator has the proper pitch to allow water to drain.

Jake

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited September 2020
    Make the investment and insulation the supply lines , half the problems will disappear
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Fred
    ss8295 said:

This is what my main vents are looking like right now. My mains are probably about 40-50ft. I do have a 0-3psi gauge on their. The hissing rad was relocated and I know the piping is incorrect since it collects water. I don’t see why that would cause a hissing vent but maybe it has something to do with it. 
    That Main Vent Antler configuration may be part of your problem. You may not be getting the full venting capacity of thise Gorton #2's. The antler should have a slight pitch so that it can drain. If there is any pitch at all, it may allow water to run back to the opposite end of the antler and block one side or the other from actually venting. Move all vents to one side of the antler and pitch it slightly towards the stand pipe
  • ss8295
    edited September 2020

That Main Vent Antler configuration may be part of your problem. You may not be getting the full venting capacity of thise Gorton #2's. The antler should have a slight pitch so that it can drain. If there is any pitch at all, it may allow water to run back to the opposite end of the antler and block one side or the other from actually venting. Move all vents to one side of the antler and pitch it slightly towards the stand pipe
    Makes sense. How do I put a slant on the antler?
  • Fred
    ss8295 said:

Use two 45's instead of the Tee and put all of your vents on one side.
  • ss8295
    Fred said:

Excuse my ignorance but did you mean I use two 45 degree elbows? 
  • Fred
    ss8295 said:

Fred said:

ss8295 said:

Excuse my ignorance but did you mean I use two 45 degree elbows? 

Yes. If you have the head room, 45 on that short nipple and then a street 45 into the first 45 that you can turn to get a slight pitch.
    If you don't have the head room for your Gortons, remove the nipple and use a street elbow into the reducer and another street elbow into the first elbow.
    If you take that plug out of the antler over the horizontal return pipe, because it is pitched, you may only need to add a 90 degree elbow on that end and install your Gorton. Use the plug where you removed the Gorton (on the short end).
    ss8295