Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help identify this air vent, manual or automatic?

sixplex
sixplex Member Posts: 89
So this guys was leaking, it's labelled RA-RICH N1-W. It is extremely old. Is this a manual or some sort of automatic vent? There is a screw at the top.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I think I have seen something like this, it was considered automatic.
    Vents air but when water gets to it, some material inside swells up and closes the port.
    I just replaced with manual vent and operate as needed.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,020
    It may be a hydroscopic cap. Some are both manual and automatic. As @JUGHNE mentioned, they have a stack of cellulose fiber washers inside. When they are dry air expels. As soon as water hits they swell and shut off.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    mattmia2
  • JUGHNE
    The ones I came across were hiding inside of a convector.
    They had obviously been leaking for some time.

The system I speak of had an old school "compression tank" and should not have any auto air eliminators anyway.

I put manual key vents on for start up purposes.
  • sixplex
    sixplex Member Posts: 89
    It's exactly what it is, i cut the sucker open with a reciprocating saw. There is also this type in the same system labelled as "duo vent". They haven't worked for over a decade ca
  • JUGHNE
    edited September 2020
    What type of expansion tank is on this system?
    Something of this vintage may have the large hanging compression tank as mentioned above.

Pictures??
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,020
    In reality those discs should be replaced about every 3 years.

Or turn the cap down and seal them off :) Use it as a manual vent only is probably how most hydroscopic vents are used, as not many are easy to identify. Usually when you see a tall cap like that, there is something going on besides just a sealing cap.

We actually sell quite a few of these. The Caleffi has a ball check, so the guts can be easily replaced without losing a drop of fluid.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 898
    Wow, I haven't seen this type of vent in years. I hated them and yes I replaced them with key vents. Since you guys have identified them to a TEE you must be older than I thought you were. HA HA