Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring Honeywell L4006e1000 on Weil McLain CGA5

shredmaster
shredmaster Member Posts: 26
I need to wire Honeywell L4006e But I’m unable to find exact installation documents for this specific model. 

Per The boiler manual, I need to wire the aquastat in serial with the rollout TFE and spill switch. I only see two terminals on the Honeywell aquastat, should I just wire the two terminalS in serial with the rollout TFE (yellow wire)? How does this unit operate without power? 

There are many different types of aquastat. Do I have the correct model for wiring in series with the rollout TFe and spill switch?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Are you adding one? If so why?
    I think you want figure 7 in the instructions.
    steve
    HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Yeah just wire it in series between the rollout and spill switch. 
    I don't know what you mean by, "How does this unit operate without power?" The aquastat, like any safety, will interrupt power when it reaches limit. Is this a state inspected or commercial boiler? Why the manual reset?
    Set it 20°- 30° over operating limit (180°?). If the economy feature is used, it should never get close.
    STEVEusaPA
  • shredmaster
    edited September 2020
    HVACNUT said:
    I don't know what you mean by, "How does this unit operate without power?" The aquastat, like any safety, will interrupt power when it reaches limit. Is this a state inspected or commercial boiler? Why the manual reset?
    Set it 20°- 30° over operating limit (180°?). If the economy feature is used, it should never get close.
    I suppose aquastat would need some sort of 24v power to keep the unit operating, just like the zone valve, low water cutoff, etc. so, i was expecting to see 4 wires. maybe it does not need power to operate? this is a town inspected. how do you keep it open?
  • shredmaster
    Are you adding one? If so why? I think you want figure 7 in the instructions.
    yes adding one for safety reason.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    edited September 2020
    It is just a mechanical thermostat with a bimetal strip that bends with temp change(or liquid or wax filled bellows where the liquid or wax expands when heated)
  • shredmaster
    mattmia2 said:

It is just a mechanical thermostat with a bimetal strip that bends with temp change(or liquid or wax filled bellows where the liquid or wax expands when heated)

i just found this document that has a lot detail how they operate. thanks for replying.
    https://climate.emerson.com/documents/therm-o-disc-complete-catalog-1-10-19-en-us-5312494.pdf
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    HVACNUT said:
    I suppose aquastat would need some sort of 24v power to keep the unit operating, just like the zone valve, low water cutoff, etc. so, i was expecting to see 4 wires. maybe it does not need power to operate? this is a town inspected. how do you keep it open?
    No no no. It's just a switch, not a motor. Only cut one wire. One cut end goes to one terminal on the aquastat, the other end goes to the other terminal. 
    Where are you placing the aquastat? Is there re piping involved? 
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    All these limits are just switches.....they need nor use any power to operate.....they control the power to the gas valve.

When they are activated by heat, beyond their design rating,
    they switch open, shutting down the power.

What you are adding is a manual reset high limit, if it opens you must reset by pushing the red button. That is why you adjust it above the highest normal operating of the boiler.

You can test it when the boiler is on by turning the wheel lower than the boiler water temp. It should click, the red button pops out a little and the system must shut down.
    Reset the button and system should restart.

You must be clear on understanding changing the wiring around as these are safety limits.
    The existing spill switch will shut the boiler down if your chimney is plugged.....saving you from CO poisoning.
    The existing flame roll out switch at the burners will shut down if flames comes back to the front of the burner compartment.......preventing a fire and CO poisoning.

I don't mean to talk down to you as I have looked at your other postings, but if you are not sure of the wiring you might call in a pro.

shredmaster