Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain HE Series 3 blower motor replacement

Options
alucididiot
alucididiot Member Posts: 1
edited September 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hey everyone, moved into an old house with an old (circa mid 80s) Weil Mclain HE Series 3 boiler. Had to turn it on for the first time a couple of nights ago, and when I did so, noticed the system pressure was ~3 psi. Today I purged the air and refilled it so it's now just under 15 psi. That worked as intended and went smoothly.

However, I'm also having issues with the blower motor, which I optimistically hoped would subside once the system was refilled, but didn't. It looks like it was replaced at some point (no idea when) since the original part number given in the manual is a Weil Mclain 382-930-225 and the motor currently in the boiler is a Fasco 71621335. It sounds (and smells) like the motor is just grinding metal on metal. I've linked a video of it running (sounds awful, you've been warned), as well as an image showing the model number.

Is my guess that the blower motor and (probably) the blower wheel need to be replaced accurate? If so has anyone done a replacement of this part? Any quirks I should be aware of?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    The motor, fan, and mounting plate will come pre assembled. Easy swap. Just make sure mating surfaces are clean. The WM part number is for ordering reference. It's not the model number of the part.
    If you order online, check the specs to make sure it includes the whole assembly.