Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to find repair help on MZ22c boiler.

I am in the Chruchville, NY (west of Rochester) area and need some help finding someone who can work on a boiler. I was told it basically needs a cleaning as it hasn't been services in many years. I tried a local and they just wanted to sell me a new boiler. Everything seems to demand the heat but the boiler won't fire so it just spins up, shuts down, and repeats the process. It also needs a new pressure chamber as the existing one has a hairline crack causing a tiny tiny leak. This almost sounds easy enough to tackle myself, but don't want to chance it and would rather find a person/company that I can trust to come take care of it moving forward.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Cracked heat exchanger? Never properly cleaned? Probably toast.
    How old is it?
    steve
  • Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    MZ has been out of business for years.  Parts are scarce.  
    Rich_49
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited August 2020
    Contact Budney Fuel Oil (Replacement Parts Supply); Talk to Robbie (800)597-6484. They may know someone in your area as they are the last place I know of that still sells parts.

I'm with the others, though: replace. The last one I installed was in 2001 and I believe they stopped importing them soon thereafter.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JohnMZ25c
    JohnMZ25c Member Posts: 5
    Hasnt been cleaned for 5 years.  When it decides to light up it heats the hot water and radiant floor heating fine.  It isnt the relays, temp overstats are both working and have continuity, pump flows, fan blows...  17+ years old

• JohnMZ25c
    If I can find find parts and all it needed was a cleaning, would you fix it or buy new?  This feels like a car with 100k where it needs brakes and tires.  Could go another 50k or it could need more money.  I have No idea how much a new comparable or better boiler would be.   Thats why i wanted someone to clean it first and see how it goes and then make the decision to swap if needed.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You were given all the advice you need.
    If you stubbornly want to try to fix it, and clean it, do you have the tools and knowledge to test gas pressure and combustion, and understand what those numbers need?
    steve
  • Sam81
    Sam81 Member Posts: 37
    Me experience is u will and up replacing it with a new one
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    17 years is a good service life on a boiler like that. When a major component goes out, it is often mid winter.
    Those early version condensors didn't have the computer control that could log hours. I suspect that unit has fired a few hundred thousand times over it's life.
    There is a cycle life engineered into all those components.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Rich_49
  • JohnMZ25c
    Took the time to crawl through the manual. Gave it a good cleaning and traced it to the air-pressure switch. I'm giving it a shot for $190. It fired up and heats great when I jump it to let it run for a couple minutes. Now just need to wait for the part and swap it out.

I appreciate the comments and hear what you are saying. If it continues to be a thorn in my side I may just end up replacing it.

• JohnMZ25c
    Robbie @ Budney Fuel Oil was great BTW! Thanks for his contact info Alan Forbes. Had the part and knows his stuff.