Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ceiling radiators and TRVs

cnmdesign
cnmdesign Member Posts: 103
Putting pex radiators in my ceilings regulated with TRVs.

Anyone else have ceiling heat and where did you locate your TRVs?

What TRVs did you use?

What's your starting temp?

What's your ceiling surface temps?

Do you like it?

Thanks
Combat Veteran owned, Final Salute LLC on FaceBook & Twitter.
www.afinalsalute.com

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    This is an option for a wall mounted TRV, commonly used with panel radiators also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    cnmdesign
  • "TO BE DISCONTINUED"

I wonder if there will be a replacement.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • hot_rod
    looks like a few different versions on their
    site.https://www.oventrop-us.com/unibox
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Lyle {pheloa} Carter
  • cnmdesign
    Thanks Hot Rod
    Been working with John Siegenthaler on this project and he too suggested this TRV. I was thinking more in line with the Caleffi' 472 Thermostatic Control Head (with remote adjusting knob)

https://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/thermostatic-control-head-remote-adjusting-knob-472000

so I can keep the valve out of the wall cavity in case of maintenance. Just wish the Capillary length was longer so I could have all the valves in the mechanical room to remove the possibility of damage from a leak or need for change out. My basement will be finished so I can't really go down with the valve that only leaves the attic and that's not good either, but doable. I lived in Germany for seven years and some of the places I lived in with in floor had all the TRVs located in a medicine cabinet type setting in the laundry room. More like a set and forget. I would rather have control from each room.

Thanks
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • hot_rod
    cnmdesign said:

Thanks Hot Rod
    Been working with John Siegenthaler on this project and he too suggested this TRV. I was thinking more in line with the Caleffi' 472 Thermostatic Control Head (with remote adjusting knob)

https://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/catalogue/thermostatic-control-head-remote-adjusting-knob-472000

so I can keep the valve out of the wall cavity in case of maintenance. Just wish the Capillary length was longer so I could have all the valves in the mechanical room to remove the possibility of damage from a leak or need for change out. My basement will be finished so I can't really go down with the valve that only leaves the attic and that's not good either, but doable. I lived in Germany for seven years and some of the places I lived in with in floor had all the TRVs located in a medicine cabinet type setting in the laundry room. More like a set and forget. I would rather have control from each room.

Thanks

We have been pushing Italy for a longer cap tube. It is not a big selling actuator in the US market.
    We sell thousands of various TRVs around the world each year. It is a common and commonsensical way to control hydronics.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    HR

Think they could design one operated by low voltage thermostat wire?

*Like: Bulb, Cap Tube, Pin, Rheostat, wire, Rheostat, Pin, TRV control.

*Not an electrical Engineer, but I did play one while typing this post.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • hot_rod
    cnmdesign said:

HR

Think they could design one operated by low voltage thermostat wire?

*Like: Bulb, Cap Tube, Pin, Rheostat, wire, Rheostat, Pin, TRV control.

*Not an electrical Engineer, but I did play one while typing this post.

You mean a thermostat and zone valve? Plenty of brands and styles of that control combination.

The biggest feature of TRV is they are non electric, mount them anywhere they see flow.

They are as a proportional control, instead of a typical zone valve which is bang/ bang.

There are battery operated setback controls now, that snap on to the actuators.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    Is it best to have the TRV on the supply or the return?

Will my Alpha2 15 55f handle all the ceiling radiators running off of one manifold? 15 11.5 x 12 rooms on average, 1/2 in Pex Al Pex.
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    My Honeywell Braumann high flow units are all on the supply side but new ones for panel rads can typically be located on either side. 
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    Does using TRVs remove the need to figure flow rates?
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • I believe they are usually on the supply side. The nipple threads into the radiator.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    cnmdesign
  • cnmdesign
    edited August 2020
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • hot_rod
    Are you looking for remote control, or just a setback program at every head?

Caleffi has the WiCal series, although not sold in the US. Probably any product not specific for the North American market will be metric units, if that matters? I'm sure you could find them online.

I'm not sure if that Honeywell will match the Caleffi valve? Threads are standard, but the pin travel length can vary from brand to brand.

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/file/01263_en.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • cnmdesign
    edited August 2020
    HR

After a little research yesterday and came across the Caleffi 202 series actuator with the LED temp indicator on the end of it. If I can get all the hardware required to attach the body inline to pex al pex, I will design my own wall box with plate so the only thing showing is the actuator.

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/file/01034_en.pdf
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • ewang
    ewang Member Posts: 77
    What ceiling radiators are you using?
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    edited August 2020
    I'd use the Danfoss R2000 with remote capillary. If the valve and TRV head are reachable to adjust, that's the easiest way.
    I've used dozens of the Oventrop Unibox. It's used primarily when you remove a radiator and replace it with a radiant heat zone. It handles 12K btus and can be used to control a small radiant zone as well. It doesn't require a pump.
  • cnmdesign
    Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge on the SIS-060 from Space Pack? Looking at maybe getting one.

Is there anything out there newer or better at a lesser price?

Thanks
    www.afinalsalute.com
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    edited August 2022
    cnmdesign said:
    Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge on the SIS-060 from Space Pack? Looking at maybe getting one. Is there anything out there newer or better at a lesser price? Thanks
    This is a long dormant thread on a different topic, probably better if you start a new thread . 
    Erin Holohan Haskell