Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

switching relay recommendation: Argo vs Tac

State: NY
Switching Relay: Argo ARM-6P (Configuration: priority goes to the pump for indirect water tank, the other 4 zones are for different parts of the house)
Water: Burnham Indirect Water Tank
Boiler: Burnham Low-Pressure Boiler 205VNI-T2
Fuel: Natural Gas
Current Thermostat: 2 wires, and AA battery

the switching relay that came with the place has been acting up. it will need to be replaced. i was reading the manual, i didn't like: "Your new Argo ARM control should work well with all standard and most programmable setback thermostats. In the event the programmable thermostat you are using causes the control board relays to chatter, you will require an external 24V power supply (transformer) and an Argo IR882 Isolation Relay."

if i ever get smart thermostats that cause board chatter, i would have to install additional relays. would the Taco 6 zone switching relay w/ priority be a better option? https://www.supplyhouse.com/Taco-SR506-EXP-4-6-Zone-Switching-Relay-w-Priority since it has a common for each thermostat.

did anyone use the different brands? would love to get your 2cents. the argo would be an easy 1to1 replacement. i might have to switch things around with a taco.

Comments

• I like Taco or Caleffi much better than the Argo. More options, better diagnostic lights, a dedicated "C" terminal for each thermostat.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    HVACNUTSTEVEusaPAkcopp
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The Argo works, it's just a little spartan.
    MrStu02
  • lost11
    lost11 Member Posts: 37

I like Taco or Caleffi much better than the Argo. More options, better diagnostic lights, a dedicated "C" terminal for each thermostat.

oh i didnt see Caleffi in the supplyhouse website. replacing the argo would have been easier but it doesn't have the C terminal incase i ever want to upgrade the thermostats
  • lost11
    lost11 Member Posts: 37
    HVACNUT said:

The Argo works, it's just a little spartan.

A little what? I don't think you want to see what I did to the argo to keep it running. Might be breaking some kind of code :neutral: