Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermotrol Valve Leaking

Options
frankhvac
frankhvac Member Posts: 2

Hello!
A customer of mine has a few of these scattered throughout their facility. This one in particular leaks. I am having a hard time matching anything up that will fit without having to do any repiping (due to VERY stringent safety protocols at this site, I’d rather avoid repiping anything at all costs!!). Has anyone seen or dealt with one of these? Can they be rebuilt or repacked? I looked on the inter webs but there is very little info that I could find. Any comments will be appreciated!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    Control valve dimensions vary by manufacturer, there are no ANSI standards.

Sweat or pipe? Voltage?, End switch needed? Hot water, chilled water or steam? Cv of old valve?, Pipe size
  • frankhvac
    frankhvac Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020
    Options
    This is non electric. It is a thermostatic type, on 3/4” black iron running hot water. If I had to take a guess, I would say this is probably from the 1930’s perhaps.
    Wish I had a better picture of the thing, was trying to stand on my head due to the fact there is a large, very heavy desk in front of it!
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    Is there a pneumatic control system in the building?
  • Bill_17
    Bill_17 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    That's an old Robertshaw/Fulton Sylphon thermostatic radiator valve, while it is probably best to replace with a modern unit there are actually a couple of these antiques on ebay. Due to the age, you are taking a risk that they may not operate after all these years.