Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What Do Space Exploration, Beer, and Hydronic Heating Have in Common?

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 637
edited June 2020 in THE MAIN WALL

What Do Space Exploration, Beer, and Hydronic Heating Have in Common?

There are several interesting connections in hydronic heating history thanks to American ingenuity and curiosity,

Read the full story here

Comments

• JohnGellatly
    JohnGellatly Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I love space, being a mechanical contractor, and hydronics. And this little story now makes me love you too! Thank you for the diversion integrating my loves.
  • mferrer
    mferrer Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Another fantastic connection of mechanical engineering and history. The ripple effect caused by the mother of invention: necessity.

Without the political forces to ignite the space race comes the possibility of a long delay of ceramics used as pump seals.

I sometimes question the cost of the space program. I often doubt the political decisions of war and conflict. However, it's development of new products and technologies makes me ponder how different HVAC and all mechanical systems would be without these innovations. Ceramic seals on circulators and Victaulic pipe, fittings and valves have proven to be great American paradigms in the piping industry.

Dan brings interest to our HVAC world, allowing better engagement and appreciation of what can sometimes be a boring subject. Or maybe not boring, but a challenge to teach and train.
    Holohan's writing and teaching is a true paradigm in my mind. Simply fascinating! Thoroughly enjoyable!

The square pipe in Germany is still my favorite!

Thanks again Dan!
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Thanks for that. Means a lot.

And where would we be without Velcro? :)
    Retired and loving it.