Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 Burner Lockout

Butternut
Butternut Member Posts: 2
edited May 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I have an older System 2000 that keeps going into burner lockout. When I realize there’s no heat, I go down and see the reset is tripped and the 140 light is blinking which I guess is what you’d expect to see in lockout. I press in the reset and power the system off and on. It fires up fine. Runs for a number of hours, multiple cycles, but eventually cuts out again. I’ve had a guy out twice. He’s jiggled wires, checked the nozzle and the flame indicator, hasn’t changed out the controller but seems to think it’s fine, and he’s swapped the relays behind the panel. Not new relays but just moved them. I think he’s also changed out that temp sensor and wire. You guys have any ideas? Thanks very much.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    I think you need a different guy
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    SuperTechSTEVEusaPAszwedjHVACNUT
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,136
    edited May 2020
    Boiler needs to be professionally cleaned and tuned. Energy Kinetics system 2000 burner needs a minimum of 6.5% 02 measured at the over fire test port.
    I would also test the oil pump for proper cut out, make sure there is no vacuum leaks on the oil supply line.
    The boiler could also be plugged and the puff switch is doing its job.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I agree with both comments. You just need a competent tech, someone also familiar with EK. It's most likely a burner issue, but you do need the boiler properly cleaned.
    An EK person will most likely be here shortly and can put you in touch with one of their approved/trained installers in your area to assist you.
    steve
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Flashing 140° means the following...
    light flashing: Burner failure or boiler circulation failure.
    Boiler return temperature has not increased enough to open
    zones in 20 minutes for fuel oil (80 minutes if option switch
    #1 is ON)
    your finding your burner in lockout as well as the 140 flashing. This means that there is a burner issue, and it needs to be diagnosed as such. the Energy manager is simply reporting that the zones did not heat up in a timely fashion.
    could be an issue with...
    oil line, pump, filters, burner motor, primary control, nozzle, proving switch... to name a few.

Replacing the temp sensor if the burner is going into lockout is like replacing your fuel gauge because the tank is reading empty when there is no fuel in it.

Schedule a Service for your boiler and be sure and mention to the company that you have had a tech out a few times. hopefully they will send a more experienced tech.
    rick in Alaska
  • szwedj
    szwedj Member Posts: 66
    The 140 flash is basically telling you that there was a call for heat and during that call, the boiler did not heat up within a certain period of time. In this case, because you have to press the burner reset, we know the burner is locking out. That tells us it's either a basic burner service issue or possibly a draft issue. Diagnosing why the burner is locking out on your System 2000 is really no different than diagnosing a burner lockout on any other system. EK has great tech support, and we encourage any service tech to call for tech support number at 800-323-2066 for help solving the problem.
    Joe Szwed
    Energy Kinetics
    Erin Holohan HaskellSuperTech
  • Butternut
    Butternut Member Posts: 2
    Thanks all. So the 140 flashes with any burner lockout? I mean, you're not going to have a burner lockout without also seeing the 140 alarm? I'll have them concentrate on basic burner/draft diagnosing.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    The 140 can also mean lack of circulation, but you need to reset the primary (what brand and model BTW) so its burner lockout.

Yes, any seasoned oil tech should be able to fix it, but you'll be safer having an EK trained tech do the work.

Listen to @szwedj and make the tech call EK. If he won't, ask him, "where do you put the probe for the combustion analyzer?". If he says he has to drill a hole in the flue pipe, he calls EK or he leaves. If he says he doesn't need to do a combustion test, show him the door.
    szwedjSuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,136
    > @HVACNUT said:
    > The 140 can also mean lack of circulation, but you need to reset the primary (what brand and model BTW) so its burner lockout.
    >
    > Yes, any seasoned oil tech should be able to fix it, but you'll be safer having an EK trained tech do the work.
    >
    > Listen to @szwedj and make the tech call EK. If he won't, ask him, "where do you put the probe for the combustion analyzer?". If he says he has to drill a hole in the flue pipe, he calls EK or he leaves. If he says he doesn't need to do a combustion test, show him the door.

Yup. The only reason why he might drill a hole in the flue pipe is to check for smoke with a smoke pump. The combustion needs to be tested at the over fire port. EK boilers are great, you just need a technician who is familiar with them. The burner is no different than any other Beckett, except for the addition of the puff switch
    szwedj
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    What @Robert O'Brien said you need a new tech.

If the burner is off on lockout it is a burner ore flame safety control. Most likely a burner issue