Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating oil help

moony
moony Member Posts: 3
We have not long since moved into a property with a Rayburn that runs off heating oil and have today filled the tank as its so cheap. The Rayburn has not run all winter. Our intention was to rip it out and replace this spring with electric heating but with all that is going on that has been postponed and with the price of oil decided to give it a go.

It started up fine and ran perfectly. However there was a large popping noise from outside after 5 minutes or so of running and oil was pouring out of this which I am guessing is the filter housing probably caused by crud in the system. My question is any ideas what part am I looking at to replace it or ideas of any suitable replacement part.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    That is an Afriso oil deaerator. You're in the UK?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    kcoppSTEVEusaPA
  • moony
    Thanks. Yes, I am in the UK
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    edited May 2020
    Since "The Rayburn has not run all winter." The absolute only thing you're able to do is get a qualified oil heat technician to repair, check, tune and adjust, perform a digital combustion analysis, smoke and draft tests, with a printed copy to show all your friends.

There's really no other way.

You can search oil de-aerator, see what it does, and you'll appreciate the fact that it's not a DIY thing.
    STEVEusaPA
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,136
    That de-aerator probably shouldn't be installed outdoors. It appears the exposure to direct sunlight has caused the plastic to become compromised. I wouldn't install another one like that and expect different results.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Believe it or not, I saw a few install manuals for European boilers, and they want the aerator outside, not inside. Seems nutty to me.
    steve
    SuperTechRobert O'Brien
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    In case of fire, the plastic may melt... you don't want that to melt inside. Hence the reason for the instruction to mount this outside. In US and Canada, a Fir-O-Matic valve is required to shut off oil supply in case of fire. That is how we get to put the Deaerator inside.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Robert O'BrienSuperTech
  • moony
    Thanks for naming the part. Ordered one and replaced it. Runs like a dream now.