Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old boiler pictures

Options
motoguy128
motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
A former coworker is house hunting and asked me for an opinion on this boiler system. It’s hot water but thought you all might enjoy these. It appears to still be flooded but it’s out of service. Had a oil burner added on of course. A modern American Standard in very poor condition heats it now. Even gauges look original.

Also found an old speed governor on an elevator at a commercial property. Probably from around 1914 or so when the building was constructed. Major Mechanicals were replaced in 1940.
HVACNUT

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Cool stuff.
    steve
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I curious about the last one , is it for a dumb waiter ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    > @Big Ed_4 said:
    > I curious about the last one , is it for a dumb waiter ?

1914 elevator in a former Masonic temple. Elevator holds maybe 3 people. Has all manual controls... old school. Cable hoist assembly is Newer, a 1940 Otis. But the governor I believe actuates the emergency brakes. One of the early safety devices.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    Those old boilers lasted forever
    luketheplumber
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I'll bet that boiler kept the basement nice and warm.

I worked for a company in Waltham that had a DC powered elevator about 4 ft square. To operate it you stepped in, closed the gate (with added safety switch) and pulled on a wire cable. That cable had knuckles on it and you had to close the cable gate just before reaching the desired floor so it would know to stop at that floor.

The elevator was open from four ft up - you were wise to keep your hands inside when the car was moving.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge