Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kewanee Boiler For Sale

Options
Kewanee Boiler for sale 7 L 7, Series 4, Casting# on door FE354-R 38.
Located in Wilmington NC
Contact info Sam 910-289-7836
blizzardconstruction@embarqmail.com

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    I know nothing about Kewanee. Are they ultra rare?
    Is it worth more than scrap weight?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I service 5 of them. Steel fire tube.
    Can probably be rebuilt forever.
    Triple pass. Steam or water.
    Gas and/or oil.....this one looks like coal.... similar to my high school (1955) that was converted to gas in 1968.
    Still working good, just too large for the job today.
    HVACNUT
  • PerryHolzman
    PerryHolzman Member Posts: 234
    Options
    That boiler can be retubed a number of times... I used to clean and repair these as a teenager working with the local coal delivery and coal furnace/boiler company.

Modern Burners can be installed. For a steam boiler likely about as efficient as most modern ones (loss of a few %). For a non-condensing hot water boiler efficiency depends on the hot water temperature. 180F water should be within a few % of a modern boiler. The long firebox is good at capturing heat in the exhaust gases.

If you are local to it, and have an application that needs the capacity, have the space (it's at least twice the size of a modern boiler), it might be worth looking at versus a modern boiler if you are into project boilers where you have to install a new burner and all the controls.

If it was replaced because the tubes were leaking and it needs a retube at this time... I'd suggest you pass it by, unless you are really into project boilers for personal satisfaction.

It's not likely to be worth shipping a long distance.

Perry

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    That was my question. Unless its gonna be somebody's hobby, it's not worth anything.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    Scrap it
  • deepsouthsmokers
    deepsouthsmokers Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I would buy the doors right now for alot more than scrap price, Email me at randall@deepsouthsmokers.com if you are interested.