Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex through finished floor

Options
imintrouble
imintrouble Member Posts: 6
i have searched many times and can't find exactly what i'm looking for. I am going to redo a few hydronic baseboards in a room and want to use pex out of convenience. i would like to stub out the pex through the floor and connect it to a 3/4 copper sweat by 3/4 pex elbow. i know the trials and difficulties of getting pex to line up straight through the floor and i'm not looking forward to it but it just seems like a beach vacation compared to making a copper stub out to go below the floor then connect to copper. i will be using a pex insulated suspension clamp where it goes through the subfloor but i would like to conceal any portion of the pex that may be visible. sure it will be behind a cover but the floors in this room are not exactly level and i can see a small amount of copper currently. i'd hate to see orange sticking out after. is there some sort of finishing sleeve that can be placed over the pex to hide it and protect it? am i just overthinking this? i understand all of this is less than ideal - copper to below would be best but i was looking for an easier and quicker solution.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hi, How about going one size up and cutting some copper pipe to use as a sleeve over the PEX? If you do this make sure to debur it inside!

Yours, Larry
    kcopp
  • imintrouble
    imintrouble Member Posts: 6
    Options
    That's a great idea. Do I have to worry about expansion of the pex inside of the copper?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Also, for the riser use straight pex that you buy in 20' long sticks. It doesn't have that curve to it and 1" copper would slide over it easily.

The panel radiator companies have split sleeves to slide over risers, usually a white plastic.

Or latex paint on the pex would make it disappear also.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream