Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell intermittent pilot igniter-sensor for Burnham IN steam boiler nat gas

regtor
regtor Member Posts: 7
edited March 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi guys. Long time lurker but infrequent poster.
I’m confused over what Honeywell igniter I can get for my Burnham IN 5 natural gas-fired steam boiler, vintage 2008. I’m getting an issue where the igniter fails to ignite the burners, then waits 5 minutes and tries again, it fails and waits 5 minutes again, and so on. The green LED is flashing twice and the Honeywell relay (gravity circulation) on the upper left in the inside panel is buzzing loudly. Sometimes it works if I turn off the power, wait several minutes, and turn it back on, but not reliably.

This happened years ago and the igniter was replaced. It started again and I took out the igniter, cleaned it carefully with alcohol and reinstalled it. So far so good but I’d like to replace it just in case, but I’m confused on which one to get.

The igniter in it now (the one I cleaned) is a Honeywell Q345AKB. The old one replaced years ago which I kept just in case is a Q348AAB. The manual says I need a Q348A1002. As best as I can tell the 345 and the 348 look the same. Anyone have experience with these igniters and can tell me which replacement should I get? I can post some pictures once I figure out how to do so. Thanks in advance.

Edit: or, is possible that the Honeywell relay is bad?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    I believe this is the Honeywell universal replacement for either of those:
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=Honeywell Q348U?searchText=Honeywell+Q348U
  • regtor
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Fred. That one looks like it has an extra wing bracket to it - maybe that’s ok. Here’s a picture of the one installed now after I cleaned it - the 345:

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited March 2020
    The buzzing relay is a Honeywell R4222D and is basically just plugged in. If you shut off the power, remove and reinsert it, it might provide better contact and kill the buzz.
    If not, and the coil is the culprit, they're cheap enough so just replace it.

The relay also provides switching for a circulator.
    Gravity? Really? Why?
  • regtor
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the input. I'll look for a replacement igniter and maybe a relay as well - it is a Honeywell R8222K 1000, looks like a simple 24V relay with a coil. The buzz has quieted down but I'm suspicious of its remaining life and want to have one in hand. I'd be curious if any pros can comment on the life of these igniters and relays - is 10+ years average?

• Pat_11
    Pat_11 Member Posts: 49
    Sometimes a zip tie around relay to hold it plugged in.