Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham K2 a good unit?

Lakefront
Lakefront Member Posts: 11
edited March 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
I have an estimate from a trusted local contractor to install a new Burnham K2 150 BTU mod/con boiler. My question is, does anyone have first hand experience with this line? The contractor likes it, but hasn't installed many yet. In looking at the Burnham site I can see that this is their most affordable option, which might now be a big deal, but I'd like to be sure that I won't regret the purchase later. The Aspen is my other option, but it's around $1500 more and I can't really see what the benefit would be based on the descriptions, other than that is uses a fire tube heat exchanger instead of water tube. They both have the same Sage controller. Both are 10-1 turn down, both have the same 5 year warranty on parts.

I'm looking to get 10 good years out of whatever I buy. After that, I won't be in this house.

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    @Lakefront, welcome. We've merged your two posts here since they were duplicates. Thanks.
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited March 2020
    It is ok. I have never installed one. See a few here and there. You best option is to install what your contractor has had the most experience with and will service best for you.
    I like the IBC line. I have installed many. I know it forwards, backwards and sideways. I have every part on the truck so if there is ever an issue I can fix it right away w/o waiting for a supply house to bring in the part.
    150K btu is a large boiler. How big is you home? Was a heatloss done?
  • Lakefront
    Lakefront Member Posts: 11
    House is 3500 sq ft. The K2 is 150 input, 123k output. Heat loss report from when the house was build lists 84K total loss at design temp, and all the emitters added up come to 104k. The current oil boiler is 140k input, 107k output IBR and has heated the house with no issue. The next smaller K2 is 90k output, which would probably work as well. Just not sure if we should mess with success.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    84K is at the coldest day of the year... Most of the time you are not at design. The 92K btu would probably be fine.
    Are there other options? Are you comfortable w/ the contractor?