Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Upgrading to wireless thermostat for TACO ZVC406 Zone controller

Options
Hi there. I would like to re-locate the basic thermostat for one of my radiant floor zones but it will be very difficult to run a wire to a new location. My thermostat connection to the controller is super-simple, just 2-wire (Red & White). Isn't there some sort of wireless thermostat, that I could put wherever I wanted, that could connect to a "base station" (or equivalent) that I could mount next to the controller and then wire it to the 2 terminals for that zone control, thus bypassing the old thermostat and associated wire? Any help would be appreciated, I'm baffled by the array of products that are out there and they all seem to be overkill.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    You may be just better off with a room sensor in place of the thermostat, and put the thermostat in the basement. If it's for a radiant floor, the temperature shouldn't be changed much, if at all.
    steve
    SuperTech
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Honeywell's RedLINK uses 900 MHz, which goes through walls far better than 2.4 GHz WiFi does (and orders of magnitude better than 5.8 GHz WiFi.)
    I've used them twice and they are profoundly reliable and moderately expensive.

For up to 3 zones:
    1 - Honeywell YTH6320R1023 kit [includes 1 thermostat and 1 wireless adapter (small panel)].
    - Honeywell TH6320R1004 additional thermostats.
    1 - Honeywell HZ322K zone panel (large panel)

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    STEVEusaPAkcopp
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Yes Alan they just keep working. Put in a fresh set of batteries every so many years. Done. The new T series stats have me all buggered up though. I’ve been doing Ecobee. Total cake
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    jimna01SuperTech
  • azapplewhite
    azapplewhite Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks so much for your helpful responses!
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    GW said:

Yes Alan they just keep working. Put in a fresh set of batteries every so many years. Done. The new T series stats have me all buggered up though. I’ve been doing Ecobee. Total cake

I have yet to try the Ecobee stats. Are they better than Nest? I don't particularly like the Nest stats. Seems to me that when you buy such a high-falutin device, it should be able to accurately read the temperature, no?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    I haven’t done a bunch maybe10. No concerns yet. Nest seems good too but Ecobee seems to be a faster set up
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 705
    Options
    You can use wireless thermostat
    The ZVC control will have the receiver connected and powered by the control, and your transmitter will use batteries.
    Pretty straight forward.
    For additional support, contact Taco tech support at 401-942-8000, ask for tech support.
    Hopefully this was helpful
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions