Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hanging pex pipe to main water pipe

Commercial building, can I ? & How can I hang 1\2" or 3\4" pex pipe to existing 1" water pipe 20' over to the wall, in a open room with no curling, just metal roof joist. Looking for the best way to hang pex to alongside existing water supply pipe horazonally to the wall ?

Comments

• trickynicky
    trickynicky Member Posts: 5
    Correction no curling, not curling
  • trickynicky
    Cieling
  • trickynicky
    Existing water supply pipe is on metal hanger from the roof joist, is there code for or can pex be hung from or strapped to existing water pipe to the wall.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You're probably better off sticking it inside a conduit. Pex is going to want to expand/contract a lot.
    steve
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

You're probably better off sticking it inside a conduit. Pex is going to want to expand/contract a lot.

Are you allowed to run pex in a conduit?
    I know Uponor sells metal supports that are basically a cupped metal tray to support it. But it's mostly open.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    With the lack of hangers pex becomes more work than copper.

Same thing with electrical. Pvc conduit supports are supposed to be 3' apart. EMT or Ridgid conduit is 10'. Most of the work is in the hangers
    mattmia2
  • ChrisJ

With the lack of hangers pex becomes more work than copper.

Same thing with electrical. Pvc conduit supports are supposed to be 3' apart. EMT or Ridgid conduit is 10'. Most of the work is in the hangers

Uponor's supports make a big difference.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Doesn't pex also require protection from UV?
  • trickynicky
    Thank you, I have only used pex in residential and can see the problem in large spans using pex in a commercial building, 32" seems a bit much, so I think copper is a washer choice in this situation. Thank you for the replies.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    ChrisJ said:

Are you allowed to run pex in a conduit?
    I know Uponor sells metal supports that are basically a cupped metal tray to support it. But it's mostly open.

Why not? UV protection for one.
    On the underground stuff it's run in a conduit and engulfed in an insulation.

steve
  • ChrisJ
    > @STEVEusaPA said:
    > (Quote)
    > Why not? UV protection for one.
    > On the underground stuff it's run in a conduit and engulfed in an insulation.
    > (Image)

I have no idea, that's why I asked.

;)