Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast ray bleed valve

Options
I’m looking for information of how to get a rusted bleed valve to turn on my cast ray radiator. The radiator only gets hot on the left side so I googled and the story I saw the most was to bleed the radiator. However as you can see I can’t turn the screw with the flathead screwdriver. I even tried heating up the screw with and torch, wd40 and vice grips. I can’t find a lot of material on these type of radiators. Maybe someone here can help.

Comments

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    pb blast is good for rust
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Jlinde37
    Jlinde37 Member Posts: 31
    Options
    I have nearly the same radiator. My bleed is.on the end. You can drill another hole and tap it 1/8" pipe and insert a new one. I went to replace mine on this salvaged radiator and and to drill it out and rethread it. No leaks no problems :)
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Hold on. That is a sunray radiator w/ ports for Steam and hot water.
    The Hot water is plugged off and the steam port is being used.

You have a steam system. Not a hot water system...

There vent below is what needs to be changed to allow more air to leave the system faster.

It the valve completely open?
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    If i'm not mistaken, that orifice on the top of vent can be unscrewed and replaced with a larger orifice. The vent is that tin can looking thing on the front right about half way down.

What problem are you trying to solve? Is this room too cold compared to other rooms? If it is relatively warm out compared to your coldest days of the year the boiler may just not be running long enough to fill the radiator with steam before the house gets warm enough and that is perfectly normal if the house is heating evenly.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,967
    Options
    You have a steam system. No bleeding involved
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    @Bernietmac1

@kcopp
    is correct you have a steam system. Leave that bleeder alone.

Change the air vent or make sure it is working. Make sure the valve on the steam supply is open. Check the radiator pitch and the pitch on the connecting piping
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    OMG