Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wiring help

Options
claptonv
claptonv Member Posts: 10
Im trying to wire a single zone Taco 501-4 to oil fired HW boiler which has a White Rodgers 11c1511,for an indirect water heater . Im removing the tankless coil and was thinking about turning down the low limit and having cold start but wiring is not my strong suit , Im a hi rise plumber and trying to help out my niece save some money > can anyone help me here ?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    not having seen it or knowing everything you have..........................

1. Cold start. Disconnect the WR 11C1511. Wire the temperature control on the indirect to where the where rogers was wired to.

Are you adding a circulator or a zone valve for the indirect?

If it's one zone for heat you can go with the existing circulator and add 2 zone valves 1 for heat and 1 for indirect.

OR

add a circulator for the indirect only and use the existing circ for heat. Adding a circ is probably better. What indirect are you using?

Need more info
  • claptonv
    Options
    Im using circulator and the are two heat zones . I have never heard of this brand but it came with the honeywell aquastat which Im guessing is going to be my thermostat but getting the boiler to fire is where Im not so sure
  • claptonv
    Options
    power to the taco relay should come from where Im not sure , 120 v out to circ and zc & zr to the oil burner i get in the alternate wiring diagram but i want to leave the white rodgers ther for the hi limit so will i use the two wires from new aquastat to the tt at the taco control ?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Does the Taco relay exist originally or you putting one in??

Maybe you can post a few pictures so we can see what you have.

You should have a high limit already on the boiler
  • claptonv
    Options
    they give a warning with alt wiring for power to originate from boiler aquastat sas to posible result in a secondary power source connecting to boiler
  • claptonv
    Options
    Im putting it just for the DHW , not sure about how to send pics
  • claptonv
    Options
    the heater is a Techtanium and I there was not a swtching relay for either of the two zones . in the service switch box are both of the thermostats , maybe they are line voltage since all there is ,is BX to both circs and to the boiler aquastat and inside that is hi limit and what Ive always have seen to be low limit it says circulator though
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    edited February 2020
    Options
    The White Rodgers boiler aquastat is a dual aquastat, meaning the boiler maintains the Hi setting and the circulator shuts off on the Lo.

Turning the Lo down won't make it cold start.

You can either power the SR501 constantly and use N/O 4 for the indirect circulator. The circulator will run regardless of boiler temperature.
    Or, wire the SR501 constantly but use 5 COM from the load side of the Lo on the White Rodgers to 6 N/O for the circulator. That will shut off the circulator if the temperature drops too low in the boiler.

IMO, with one heat zone, option one should be fine.
    Hi 170°, Lo, all the way down.
    SuperTechSTEVEusaPA