Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Viessmann VR1 140 Fuel smell

Options
StellaMaine
StellaMaine Member Posts: 2
I just had a Viessmann VR1 140 installed in my home. The burner gives off a fuel smell and I have had my
contractor back on 4 different occasions to fix it. No matter what they do it gives off a fuel smell. They have
sealed all sorts of joints and still, it smells. Has anyone any recommendations? Could it be a defect with the unit they installed?

Comments

• SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    It could be a leaky connection of the oil line, but I'm assuming that a visible indication of this would be obvious.

Has the installer performed a combustion analysis using digital equipment? It should have been done upon the initial startup, including draft and smoke tests. I'm thinking the smell you notice is incomplete combustion, and your new boiler becoming full of soot.
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    Confirm there is no power equipment in the basement first. Grass trimmers,mowers,snowblowers,sleds,motorcycles..etc..

Had several calls for oil odors and it is usually an engine someone forgot about.
    kcopp
  • StellaMaine
    StellaMaine Member Posts: 2
    Options
    The burner is in its own room. The company who installed it admits the smell is there but can't figure out why.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,164
    Options
    > @StellaMaine said:
    > The burner is in its own room. The company who installed it admits the smell is there but can't figure out why.

Has the installer performed combustion tests? This is super important for any new unit. If it's not running right it may not be safe to operate.
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 285
    Options
    The Vr is optional direct vent or chimney. What is it set up for? Bf burner? F40 burner? Photos will help