Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please help - looking to replace my Indirect heater that will connect to my existing Boiler

Options
johnnynoc
johnnynoc Member Posts: 3
Please excuse me in advance as I am not well versed in this area.

I currently have a Williamson DHW-56 indirect thats approx 17 years old.
https://www.williamson-thermoflo.com/sites/default/files/field-file/w_dhw brochure.pdf
My boiler is a Burnham 206PV that's about the same age.
https://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/Burnham 2PV Series Brochure.pdf

Quick background:
I have 6 adults and 2 teens in a Mother/Daughter house.
When the kids take showers they are long and by the time I get in the water gets cold fast.
When they run it down I have recently been getting rust which I was attributing to the age of the tank
I assume that it is at the end of its life.
I do not want to have the issue of running out of hot water going forward so was looking to replace what I have with something that would work properly with the ratings of my existing gas boiler.
I was looking at the turbomax as an option but dont know if thats my best choice opposed to the "regular" indirect units.
Also, if it is...what size would be recommended? I was looking at the 45 and 65.
http://www.thermo2000.com/pdf/en-US/specs/specifications_turbomax.pdf

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much
John

Comments

• Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Stay away from the Turbomax. They don't respect their warranty and the copper coils leak. One hotel, we replaced one unit that failed 2 years later. Their inspector said that is was leaking. We replaced the unit. 3 months later, the plant said it was fine. The potable water side of the coils was leaking into the glycol system. We had 8 45 gal drums of overflow. When the unit was replaced. There was no more overflow. I am sure that they fixed the leak at the plant. Get a true indirect such as a HTP Super Store Pro. We have not had one issue in 13 years with this product.
  • johnnynoc
    Options
    Henry,
    Thank you.
    Based on the specs of my current boiler and Indirect and my concern for being able to have enough hot water left after two back to back showers what size unit of the superstore pro would I be looking at? the 60 or 80?
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Options
    @johnnynoc do you currently have a mixing valve on your indirect as well?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Just as a side note .i have put in only a few turbomax and have had no issues but only on residential installations which differ from commercial . Every indirect or reverse I install gets the houses water pressure checked and a pressure reducing valve and I portable expansion tank installed if required . Depending upon many factors is basically how I select what to use . Being the water in my area is hard it’s hard to find a smaller indirect w clean outs and de liming standard indirects can be very time consuming and some times not w the best results. In which case I find the turbomax a better fit being it’s coils can be easily de limed and flushed out easier then a standard indirect ,I have yet to have to clean one or have any issues. There are a few companies which offer indirects w manholes for clean that I know of both buderus and the big v offer but I believe there for tanks over 50 gallons which in a lot of cases the boiler does not have the output . I have one in 3 years powered by a 75 mbtu mod con model 24 2 adults 2 young daughters and no complaints on back to backs w laundry unless at hot cycle . I will say when my bock sidekick goes a turbomax 24 will be installed Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • johnnynoc
    Options
    SeanBeans said:

@johnnynoc do you currently have a mixing valve on your indirect as well?

Yes I do
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    Here is a quick guide showing how elevating the tank temperature and mixing add to the drawdown.

Beware higher operating temperatures tend to shorten tank life, you get a lot more mineral precipitation as you increase storage temperature.

An 80 gallon tank, low flow shower heads may help?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Henry
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    SSP80 don't worry about the coil as it is corrugated and flexes to be self cleaning
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    I'd be using an 80g Viessmann 300 EVA tank and keeping the tank at 140 with a thermostatic mixing valve on hot outlet. Tank is warranted for life. Period.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    Lots of opinions on the best indirect, I have used at least a dozen brands. All in all I have had the best result with glass lined, large coil indirects. Most brands have a glass and stainless offering now.

Test your water, if it has high chlorides I'd stay away from stainless.

Paul, does Viessmann have a water quality clause for that warranty. I know their boiler water spec is one of the most comprehensive, baed on the German the VDI 2035 standard they help develop.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream