Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler piped with "Aquatherm" piping; what is that

Options
janwalker47
janwalker47 Member Posts: 24
(Sorry if this is the wrong category but I don't know where it belongs.)

I had a new boiler and controls installed two years ago. The piping is green. There's an issue with the install on one of the components and it needs repiping. Per engineer's assessment: "The Caleffi combination separator piped between the primary boiler loop and the secondary piping loop to the loads was found to be improperly piped.... The existing piping is correct on the boiler primary loop side (hot on top, cooler return on bottom), however the secondary piping to the separator is reversed, with the hot leaving side currently piped to the bottom port and the cooler return to the top port."

The original contractor is AWOL. I'm having trouble finding someone to do the job. "Can't work on that". "Don't have the right tools". And so on. Here's a photo. Can someone please explain the issue and where to look for help. Many thanks.

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    What part of the country do you live in?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    Options
    Ouch. I would start here to find the manufacture rep in your area. Ask rep who has the tools to work on their pipes https://aquatherm.com/find-a-rep

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

janwalker47
  • janwalker47
    Options
    This is in the Greater Boston area. I tried a Caleffi supply house for a recommendation but for some reason didn't end up with anyone to call. Didn't realize at the time it was a piping issue. So thanks for the rep suggestion.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Aquatherm is great stuff as it is fused and not glued. What one saves on labour is eaten up by pipe and fitting costs. We have gone to S/S on anything larger from 3 inch on. The installers like it because it is light and they can tack weld it for the welder to come and finish the welding.
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Worst case, just have to take it apart back to a threadeD fitting and then use cooper, SS or black pipe. Can’t tell what size it is. Is the larger pipe 2”?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    @janwalker47

Call Metropolitan Pipe they are a supply house and they sell Aquatherm. They used to be in Cambridge but they moved recently but they are still somewhere in the Boston area not sure where they moved to as I am out in western, ma

They could recommend some contractors for you, you need special tools to work on that stuff
  • janwalker47
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thank you for this suggestion. Now located in Somerville fyi. I'll check with them.