Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coil Gasket

Hilly
Hilly Member Posts: 427
edited December 2019 in Oil Heating
I have to wait 2-4 weeks to get a Coil Gasket from the manufacturer on an old boiler. And at a fairly high price when you consider shipping, customs fees and availability (I guess on the last one). Either way there is an industrial place here that will sell gasket material of all characteristics. They'll also fab it on the spot if I want to give them a template and do not want to cut it myself. He told me they usually do coil gaskets in rubber neoprene but can make it of anything basically. Does anyone know exactly what material I should request for a coil gasket or since my options are semi-unlimited is there a better quality product I can use than standard?

Thanks up front gang,
Hilly

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Which boiler make/model?
    @Hilly, what part of the world are you in that it takes 2-4 weeks for a tankless coil gasket? Are you only trying OEM or could you not find anything on the internet?
    Same material that's used on circulators should work fine. Should be the last time it gets replaced, right?
    steve
  • Hilly
    It's just a Burnham V7. I called two suppliers and both told me they had to get it from the states. Both said if we ordered today they'd ship it in 2-4 days. (That was a **** moment for me really. haha) Then they said it'd be 2-3 weeks plus the unknown cost of customs at the border. Literally one told me 2-3 weeks and the other said 3-4, stating "you know with Christmas week" I know we don't talk pricing but A said almost three digits and B said double what A's price was. I can have it made or make myself sameday basically for 1/4 and 1/8 the cost. That's why I am not looking at OEM options. I couldn't find anything online in Canada either with regards to availability today.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited December 2019

Red Rubber Neoprene is the right stuff. Sometimes it is black Have your guy make it. it should be about 5/8" to 3/4" wide where the holes are cut out. even with the edge of the plate.

Try these guys They may ship to Canada.
    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Burnham-8036058-Tankless-Heater-Cover-Plate-Gasket?gclid=CjwKCAiA58fvBRAzEiwAQW-hzSbbgdNwFcStXwhmMzAZVb4_Bh_lE5Omr9_FLvLyedN8UwgYlZ9_rBoCdhYQAvD_BwE
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Hilly
    Sadly they do not ship to Canada. The boiler is pretty close to the gasket place. I may just pull it and bring it as a template. Should be fairly straight forward.
    Intplm.