Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Single line, tiger loop, no flow.

Mervmaster
Mervmaster Member Posts: 3
Hey all, first post here.

I just installed a new Roth tank with a new 3/8id overhead copper line. The line sits 6 inches from the bottom of the tank, and the tank is half full. Tiger loop installed with flex lines. New oil filter has been bled. No interruptions in oil line, so no chance for air leaks.

I can use a siphon pump to pull fuel through the bypass line, which will allow the system to prime, but once the burner turns off it won’t fire back up.

The fuel tank is lower than the burner.

The old setup used A standard 275 gallon tank with a bottom outlet and an identical overhead line with no tiger loop. This was also lower than the burner. I never had a problem with that set up.

Have I burned up my pump or something else in trying to get it primed? It runs great when I force oil into it, but it won’t run otherwise.

Everything is clean and tight, the screen has been cleaned, the filter is new, the lines are new, the tank and oil are new.

I was hoping to make this the first December in 3 years that my furnace wasn’t broken.

Burner is a Beckett afg with genesis controller.

If you all have any advice I’d sincerely appreciate it

Thank you all in advance.

-Merv.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Did you install the bypass plug in the fuel unit?
    Did you install the tiger loop with the full loop on the line coming from the tank to prevent it back siphoning?
    Is it one continuous line from inside the oil tank to the tiger loop?

If so you can try removing the lines to the pump. Take a small container of a few gallons of heating oil, run a small supply and return to the pump. Turn on the burner. If it isn't pulling oil, replace the pump. You could also check it with a vacuum gauge too.
    If it does pull oil, hook it back up and see what kind of vacuum it's pulling.
    What's going on inside the Tiger Loop while it's running. Should look like nothing is happening in there after initial filling and purging.

Generally with a new overhead install, I pull with a hand pump to the tiger loop or fuel unit.
    steve
  • Mervmaster
    > @STEVEusaPA said:
    >
    > If so you can try removing the lines to the pump. Take a small container of a few gallons of heating oil, run a small supply and return to the pump. Turn on the burner. If it isn't pulling oil, replace the pump. You could also check it with a vacuum gauge too.
    > If it does pull oil, hook it back up and see what kind of vacuum it's pulling.
    > What's going on inside the Tiger Loop while it's running. Should look like nothing is happening in there after initial filling and purging.
    >
    > Generally with a new overhead install, I pull with a hand pump to the tiger loop or fuel unit.

Pulled the lines and tried a container of oil.

No action.

Calling around to local suppliers now. Will update

Thanks
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    As STEVEusaPA asked, is the bypass plug in the pump? If, not and you try to pull fuel out of anything without bleeding the pump, it will not work.
    Rick
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    He changed the oil tank. no mention of changing the pump or burner.

If he put a Tiger loop in he needs to put the plug in the pum does he not? Tiger loops are 2 pipe previous oil line was one pipe which is probably the issue
    FlashFotoSuperTech
  • Mervmaster
    I must have burned out the pump trying to bleed it.

I put the intake and return lines in an oil container and saw no suction.

Replaced the pump, same test, good suction and burn.

Reassembled, all set.

Thanks guys for your help.