Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Favorite pump isolation valves?

TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
Have to replace one of my manifolds (plastic/leaking). Think I should replace the "brute" pump feeding it as well. What is a good set of isolation valves to go with it?

The pump has to be 20+ years old -- last of the original blue Buderus pumps that got installed when new. They are Grundfos UP14-42.

Also -- when this system was installed they used "flow check" valves .... it seems that everybody now uses the pumps with the check valve installed .... correct?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I think they all do a fine job. Pick your favorite color.
  • TAG
    Well -- I had a set of grundfoss years ago that came with a pump ...they leaked around where the two parts come together. It was a two part system with steel plate and brass valve. I looked at the supply house a few weeks ago ,, the one they sold was all brass .. made in China.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Any with rotating flanges, no flow checks. If you need them put them in the circs.
    steve
  • TAG
    So you do like the new two part ones ..steel and brass?
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited November 2019
    Look at Webstone flanges at Supplyhouse.com and make your choice. Having an attached hose bibb on the outlet of the pump is helpful for filling and purging the sys. All Brass.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    95% of the time, I use the basic non-rotating Webstone brass iso flanges. Not a fan of the rotators when they're not necessary, always tend to need 4 hands to assemble them.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,104
    I like the rotating webstone being some time you go to replace a pump and bolt location are 180 of the original those rotating flanges make it a breeze . I do agree they can be a pain to set up some times but it better then have to either un sweat and spin or wrench it up 180 .i will admit I have had issue w b &g rotating but never a webstone Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating