Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Recommendations for Snowmelt & Radiant

CDecker
CDecker Member Posts: 17
I have approx 1,591 Sq Ft of driveway with pex installed for snowmelt. I used 5/8" pex on 6-9" centers over 2" of ridged foam board. The slab is 5" thick over the foam (7" thick on the edges - See Photos).

I also have approx 67,400 BTU radiant load for the house (staple-up, basement slab), and the garage (slab) according to detailed heat loss calcs. I estimate that load to be much, much lower on a realistic daily basis, as both structures are currently heated with forced air, and are super tight. The radiant will really only be to warm the floors and take the edge off.

My question... What would you guys recommend for boiler(s) in this situation? I'm not sure a single unit is a good idea, as it would never modulate low enough to efficiently satisfy the house on non-design days when its not snowing... So am I stuck purchasing 2 boilers at this point? I would think the snowmelt boiler would not need to be anything fancy? Does anyone make a reasonably priced mod-con with few bells and whistles that's primary function can be the dumbed down operation of just melting snow?

Any suggestions on how I should handle the house?

Thanks...
EzzyT

Comments