Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

My waterline is wrong. Should I do anything??

2»

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Does that cover come off of that box with the red button on it? If it does, take it off and see if you can see a set of contacts in there that may be open and that doesn't close like it is suppose to or if there is a fused link in there that may have blown.
    Is there a fused transformer anywhere else?
  • trivetman
    trivetman Member Posts: 178
    I did open it up at least partially. Decided to bypass the component just to confirm that was at fault. Sure enough it is now up and running.

Suppose I should look into repairing/replacing the safety feature though
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    trivetman said:

I did open it up at least partially. Decided to bypass the component just to confirm that was at fault. Sure enough it is now up and running.

Suppose I should look into repairing/replacing the safety feature though

Good Job! Do replace it. It is there for a reason.
  • trivetman
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Hap but I am pretty sure thats a phishing website.

Looks like that part isn’t made anymore. There might be one on ebay I can grab. Is there anything in current production I can use instead.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Sorry if I gave you a bum steer. It's clear that the part is discontinued, but there were several sites that said they still had new ones in stock, which I thought was plausible since the demand is near zero. I found prices ranging from $30 to over $100. Maybe they're all phishing sites. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know what that thing looks like inside, but it might be possible to fix the electrical contacts, if that's the issue. The only thing I'd be worried about is that, since there's gas going through it, and there's probably some kind of pressure diaphragm involved, it might develop a leak.
  • trivetman
    No worries. Theres at least 10 sites out there with the exact same pics as the one on ebay, all selling for different prices. Not a good sign.

I could either take a chance on the ebay stock, or it looks like theres a Baso product which could replace it.

I’d have to reposition the gas lines with the Baso is the downside. Doesn’t seem like it would be too hard. Just a couple of elbows and check for leaks right? I’ve done a little gas work but not much.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Baso-Gas-Products-L62GB-3C-SPST-Manual-Reset-Pilot-Switch-w-100-Shutoff-Universal-Mounting-Plate
  • Hap_Hazzard
    You might not need to use any elbows. Gas lines ar pretty bendy. Just be careful not to kink them. I don't do much gas work either, but I did invest in a flammable gas detector to check my connections whenever I change anything, and a couple of times a year just in case—like every time they have video of a house blowing up on the evening news. You can also check for leaks with soapy water, but I like to use the detector too.
  • trivetman
    Rethinking this....Ive had enough bad seals on H2O lines especially with compression fittings. Time to call my guy!
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Was it that comment about the houses blowing up that changed your mind? :D
  • trivetman
    Gotta know limits!!! Mine are higher than most....for a DIY guy with no trades background anyways.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    I hear you. I'm still going back and forth about hiring someone to repipe my gas main. I've repiped my boiler, and there's no steam leaking out, and residential gas is under very low pressure, but then I picture my house as a debris field…