Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving some Stadler floor panels without damaging system

Last year we purchased a home that is approx 25 years old. We are remodeling our master bath and below the ceramic tile are stadler heating panels. The heat works fine and is forced hot water oil. We want to make shower area larger and as a result need to remove a section of floor panel. Can this be done without damaging the system? We also want to add floor panels in another area. Since Stadler no longer exists, can Viega panels be added to an existing Stadler system? The 2nd part of my question is where things get more complicated. we removed the jacuzzi and granite surrounding it. We plan to install a freestanding tub. We were shocked to see that the granite surrounding the tub was placed directly on Stadler radiant panels. We never used the tub and never knew there was heat below the granite until the granite was removed. I turned on the radiant head and it did get hot and is still working. We need to remove these panels but are at a standstill as we don't know how to remove without damaging entire system. Do you know anyone in Southern Massachusetts who is experienced with this? We are in the Raynham/Bridgewater area.

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    Pictures, please!
  • carolsteve
    carolsteve Member Posts: 4

Here are 3 pictures. Thank you!
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,574
    you have to engineer it properly, but there are other systems that can replace or add to that system. It could get complicated if you need more zones from the manifold.
  • carolsteve
    Thank you for your response. We aren't looking to add more zones and only want to add about 5 more panels. There is a closet that abuts the master bath that we wanting to knock down to make bathroom larger. We just need a few to add there but are more concerned about the one's we need to move. Initially I thought there was copper tubing through the panels but learned that its PEX and installed after the panels are installed. If we add a few and remove a few panels, would that mean removing and replacing all of the PEX? Do you know which brand systems can be added or replaced with this system? Thanks!
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    Look for some wording on the pipes. See what brand pipe you have. That might give you a hint as to the type of panels or panel track system that you might have.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    Not to hijack your thread, but we have a customer with older Stadler pex. I have struggled to find and adaptors that work with this tubing. I'm forgetting the size, but I think it's something like 7/16" (not a standard size here in NJ).
    If you find a fitting that adapts to the Stadler you should be able to do modify your radiant hear relatively easily. Biggest concern would be keeping the flow through the tubing adequate. If you increase the length of tubing too much, you run the risk of inadequate flow.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Tile should be applied to Wonderboard or Hardy board, not directly to the panels. Loop lengths should be under 200 ft. in length. The Viega or Uponor panels use 5/16" tubing on 7" (or 10") centers, so you may need adapters.
  • carolsteve
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions; The PEX is 10mm and it states on it "made in Germany". We have learned that Stadler's PEX was 10mm but when Viega bought them, the PEX was changed to 5/16 which is actually 8mm. (Stadler was a European compnay). Finding the fitting/coupling is the main issue. I'm wondering if there is a way to get the 5/16 inch coupling to work with the 10mm. I'm not a plumber and just learning all of this now.