Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone here using Sunboard panels? Thoughts?

After doing a lot more reading I have come to the conclusion that radiant ceilings might be a better option for part of my retrofit versus putting down extruded plates below and above the subfloor in my house. I have looked at sunboard and their product is not much more cost than aluminum plates and the time saved would be worth it. Any thoughts on sunboard? Warmboard is too thick for my application.

Also, my attic space will be airsealed with closed cell foamed being sprayed on the bottom of the roof sheathing. Will I need any additional insulation on the top of the ceilings if I were to use sunboard panels on the bottom of the ceilings joists over the bedrooms?

Will the 3/8 pex panel put out significantly less heat than a 1/2pex panel? I would prefer to use the 3/8 to keep my flooring heights relatively close.

Thank you for the help

Comments

• John Ruhnke
    John Ruhnke Member Posts: 882
    Messana makes a great radiant heating and cooling ceiling system. They have the controls, HRV, Humidity sensors to make it all happen. They have the complete package. There system can heat up a space just as fast as scorched air can. They have a very fast response time. Where are you located? I might be able to help you with that.
    I am the walking Deadman
    Hydronics Designer
    Hydronics is the most comfortable and energy efficient HVAC system.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Use Sunboard for years now . Good product , good service , good people . 3/8" will more than likely be quite sufficient as opposed to 1/2" . Make sure you don't get fooled by the names and use the Sunborad Silver , silver has graphite / aluminum through the grooves as opposed to sliced with less conduction .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • John Ruhnke
    John Ruhnke Member Posts: 882
    Check out Messana at RadiantCooling.com
    If you buy Messana through me you get free design assistance from me an award winning radiant designer. The price is the same either way. Just email me.
    I am the walking Deadman
    Hydronics Designer
    Hydronics is the most comfortable and energy efficient HVAC system.
  • RedMonte85
    RedMonte85 Member Posts: 71
    How do you guys feel about having a "hot roof" with radiant floors rather than insulation being directly on top of the ceilings? I am planning to closed cell foam the entire bottom of the roof sheathing so that I can possibly place a manifold and air handler into the conditioned attic.
  • RedMonte85
    RedMonte85 Member Posts: 71
    Low pitch (4/12) roof, bottom of ridge beam is roughly 5ft above ceilings.