Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone wiring for WR 1361

hamel01
hamel01 Member Posts: 18
I am starting a new project replacing an old oil boiler with a IBC HC20-125 for my mother in law and need some clarification from the experts on these WR 1361 valves. My plan is to have a Caleffi 4 zone switching relay to control the 3 heating zones and 1 DHW zone. The system will have 1 variable flow circ pump (plus the built in pump in the boiler) and then have 3 WR 1361 (Existing) control valves and 1 new 4 wire taco control valve (For DHW). What I am trying to figure out is the best way to wire in the 1361's. My initial plan is to wire from the Caleffi to each valve 24v for the motor circuit and then just jump the t-stat terminals on each valve so i can feed the t-stats from the zone relay. So in theory when the t-stat tells the zone relay to turn on the heat it will send 24v to the valve and motor will turn to open the valve since the t-stat terminals on the valve are jumped. Once call for heat is done power is removed and valve will close.

Does anyone see an issue with this or a better way to do it? I am open to any suggestions!

Thanks!

Comments

• SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 233
    Hi Hamel, if you have a Taco ZVC and looking to wire in WR1361 I've included a wire diagram. Any question please call into Taco Tech Support at 401-942-8000.

STEVEusaPA
  • Cody350
    Cody350 Member Posts: 11
    Those valves will work with the ZVR no problem.

See page 5 for wiring of the 1361 to a Caleffi ZVR panel.

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/caleffi/uploads/files/wg-zonerelay.pdf
    Cody Mack
    Caleffi North America
  • hamel01
    Thanks SteveSan! I have read that document many times and somehow went right past that page many times! That is exactly what I needed. Thanks!!
  • SteveSan
    You're welcome. If you ever need assistance please call into Taco Tech Support 401-942-8000. We are available Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST. Steve
  • hamel01
    Cody Thanks to you too for that page reference!
    KCA_2
  • hamel01
    Ok so after looking at all the documents i have come up with an issue.. I was planing on using the priority setting on the zone control for the DHW. According to the taco and Caleffi the 1361 can not be used in priority mode.. Is there another way to do this or can the 1361 control head be replaced with something that will work?
  • hamel01
    The more I think about it I go back to my original thought where I just tied terminals 1 and 2 to the motor terminals on the zone control and jump terminals 4 and 5 and when the tstat calls for heat it will apply power to the motor and valve opens. When call is done power is removed and valve closes.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited October 2019
    Where is it saying that?
  • hamel01
    Both of the manual say you can not user priority mode with WR 1361 valves. Not sure why but that is what they say.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    And that's why I was never a fan of WR, or whatever other name they operate under.
  • SteveSan
    Just confirmed with the PM that you can wire your WR1361 to a standard zvc, just have to wire all the #2 terminal from the WR together and send 1 wire to the R terminal on the priority zone or can use the zvc expandable boards because power is cut to the zone valves instead of the R terminals on the standard zvc's. Any questions please contact Taco.