Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco ZVC405 timer addition

Options
I would like to add a timer to my ZVC405 controller. Can someone tell me if this is possible and where to begin? Thanks!

Comments

• Sam81
    Sam81 Member Posts: 37
    Options
    What would u like to control
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    This is one way I would do it.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    You're looking for a time delay? For what purpose?
    Are you looking to delay the opening of the zone valves, or delay the burner or gas valve from energizing?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    He may want it installed in a commercial or multi-residential building where he can't prevent the occupants from messing with the thermostats.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • swongman
    swongman Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi Guys, I want just want to add time control to the zone valves.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    swongman said:

Hi Guys, I want just want to add time control to the zone valves.

I think what we're getting at is "Why"?
    What are you trying to accomplish so we can give you the best answer?
    steve
  • swongman
    Options
    Thanks, guys.
    If we leave our tile floors in the master bath on, the master suite heats up too much. We really just want warm floors in the morning. This is a California house, so the "cold" is not so extreme. Here is our system.

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Does the bathroom floor have its own thermostat? I would just replace the thermostat with a programmable one and use that as your timer.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    I agree a programable t-stat may be ideal, especially if you can get a sensor into, or below the floor. Then a not to exceed, not to fall below, daily programability and a timer function could all be in one control.

Most all the new smart stats could handle this, Ecobee for example.

If you use spring wound timer they are somewhat noisy, a solid state would need power to operate.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 141
    Options
    I second @hot_rod. But if you insist on installing a timer, I recommend the EMX DTM-9. They are a little pricey but easy to program. You can watch a youtube video on it here:
    Sam81
  • swongman
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, this is great!

From Hot Rod - "I agree a programable t-stat may be ideal, especially if you can get a sensor into, or below the floor. Then a not to exceed, not to fall below, daily programability and a timer function could all be in one control."

We have Viega digital thermostat controls on the wall with three wires. The EMX DTM-9 suggested by Wellness looks cool, but we don't want just a timer. Am I missing something? Why can't I just replace our Viega 18050 ProRadiant Digital Thermostat with a timer thermostat? Is there something special about it radiant systems that I cannot use something like a Honeywell 7-day programmable unit?

• swongman
    Options
    Well, we don't want just a timer, but a timer thermostat. Am I missing something?Why can't I just replace our Viega 18050 ProRadiant Digital Thermostat with one that can like a Honeywell 7-day programmable unit?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    The Honeywell Prestige TH9320. Don't do WiFi. I dont know what you said but this should do it.