Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valving off Radiators

I have a customer that wants to valve off the radiators he has in the upstairs of the house as they no longer us the upstairs. The upstairs is not shut off from the main floor so the warm air will rise up on keep it warm upstairs. My issue is that it is a mono flo system. I have not done this on mono flo systems before. I have not done a vast amount with these.
What I am thinking of doing to valving them off and piping around the mono flo tee's with the same size pipes this way I do not have to deal with the mono flo tees. This also reduces the pressure the pump would see. I replaced the 1940's era boiler with a mod con boiler in a primary-secondary setup.

I am looking for confirmation if this is an alright idea, or something they should not do? I am leaning for them to leave it as is.

Thanks

Comments

• Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 265
    If you valve them off, the pipes going to them will probably freeze, you might be better off draining the whole system and then just bleeding the 1st floor heat, and see if that works.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Heat moves to cold.
    I don’t think it’s a good idea.
    I don’t think they’ll save any money. Now you have a boiler with 1/2 the load, oversized & more short cycling.
    steve
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    @EvenCmft Have you considered piping the upstairs on a seperate zone? Maybe do just that.
    I agree with what @STEVEusaPA says above.
    It's not a good idea.
    I would pipe it as a separate zone instead.
  • EvenCmft
    EvenCmft Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your input. You have confirmed my thoughts. I will be talking to them about not doing this.