Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is this a Broomell elbow?

Options
I don’t have my book on me at the moment. Broomell is the only one I can remember off the top of my head that used an elbow like this. I know there are some others.

No graduated valves on the radiators. No orifices. Half the radiators have air vents on them.

This one ancient air vent where the dry returns connect together.

Uneven heating and water hammer obviously.
Never stop learning.

Comments

• EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    @Mike_Sheppard yes it looks like Broomell return elbow.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    @EzzyT thank you. As soon as I saw the coal style piping and the coal shoot I knew it was going to be a special system.

Since the graduated valves have been replaced would it make sense to use orifices on these?
    Never stop learning.
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,295
    Options
    Yes orfices would be a wise discussion. I would also try to replace the plug on the return elbow and clean it out. It definitely will a take some finesse to replace the plug and clean the elbow. The last few Broomell systems I’ve come across which there aren’t that many out there had a lot of the return elbows clogged.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    @EzzyT I’d imagine these are probably in the same boat.

I’ve never made orifices before. How do you make them? Do you just install them between the radiator and valve where the nut is? How about sizing them? When I go back next weekend I am going to add up the EDR and everything. The homeowner was excited to learn about his system and we discussed some water hammer issues.

The Hydrolevel LWCO / feeder malfunctioned and flooded his system when he was on vacation. He mentioned water came out of the air vents. Definitely shouldn’t be air vents.

I am replacing that and would also like to let him know him to improve his system. The boiler is about due for replacement as well. Installed 1987. In surprisingly good shape though. Piped wrong but not horribly wrong.
    Never stop learning.