Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is 1 CPH best?

corey_s
corey_s Member Posts: 17
edited September 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
I have an old gravity system with cast iron radiators that was converted with a Burnham series 3 boiler and a pump. I've been using 1 cph and had no issues with comfort or the temperature overshooting. Is 1 cph best for the boiler to prevent condensation? The default is 3, but i set it to 1, thinking that longer cycles would help prevent short cycling and would get the return water temp up above what causes condensation. Is it as simple as this or am I missing something? Perhaps more cph would keep the water warm between cycles and get it to a good return temp faster?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Old gravity needs to (and will) run a long time. Don't think you need to worry about short cycling or condensation.
    More cph's and you probably don't heat up the place to the desired temperatures.
    steve
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    CPH can be viewed as, the lower the cycles, the greater the overshoot. The more cycles, the greater the undershoot and the boiler ends up firing back up in a short time.

Getting it in the happy spot is the secret. 1 CPH is probably the best spot for many systems and I wouldn't be surprised if gravity is one of them.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited September 2019
    When I leave a job I always set everything to one cycle per hour. Unless it's electric heat which I generally set either 3 or 5 a short cycling doesn't really matter. Never once have I had a call back about someone being uncomfortable due to overshoot.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!