Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buffer Tank 4 Pipe vs 2 Pipe

JakeCK
JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
Looking for expert opinions and the pros/cons between using a buffer tank with 4 taps or using one with 2 and large T's near.

Comments

• Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 284
    I did a two pipe buffer on my home system which is kind of an experimental lab. I did it because I have a hot water coil in my air handler that I use to heat the house in mild weather and the two pipe buffer gets hot water to the coil quicker from a cold start. I think that’s the main benefit of it - once the system is hot I don’t think it makes much difference.
    JakeCK
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    I ve only done 1 or 2 job w a 4 tap boiler buddy and they work at giving you complete hydronic separation ,I used them on mod con jobs one was standard zone valve w plently of micro zones and another w panel rads and trv .issue where smaller loads below minimum modulation of the equipment .This proved to be the easiest solution ,have yet to have any issues and both jobs are installed well over 10 years . remember to resize your expansion tank for increased water volume .Another opt is to use a 2 pipe piping and use a Turbomax reverse indirect w that being said do your research and remenber to increase your near tank pipe sizes and install check valves ,there’s a lot more to this then just piping at look at your average supply water temp and system load .peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    The quicker hot water on cold start is one of the reasons I'm looking at just a 2 pipe. Correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't a buffer tank with 4 taps be used in a 2 pipe configuration with the other 2 just capped off if need be? I was actually looking at ordering a turbomax reverse indirect. One can special order a turbomax with 4 taps but there are pros and cons to both and I'm just trying to work them all out. A 4 pipe configuration would provide better hydraulic separation and simplify plumbing but is special ordered for the turbomax. A 2 pipe configuration provides quicker response to heating demands and is a stock item that can be quickly purchased and shipped from what I've found. Now since I would be using a reverse indirect for dhw it should always be hot negating any benefit of the quicker response.

As for the larger exp tank, trust me I know. When I bought the house I had problems with the relief valve going off because of the tank being blown out and too small for massive converted gravity system. It was funny, the first winter I bled all the rads and discovered all of the upstairs where half empty and the pressure was low. So I filled to the proper pressure and got all of the air out. Great! Until it got decently cold and I got a small river in my basement. Ended up replacing the expansion tank, auto vent, pressure relief valve and thermocouple. And flushed the s*** out of it. The reason I want a buffer tank is because of a complete redesign of the system. I planning to go to a manifold setup with home runs to each microzone and indirect dhw. I have another topic out there with a uploaded plumbing diagram showing in more detail where I am in the design.

And other then having the asbestos professionally removed I have not made any changes yet and most likely won't until spring next year. Although I could actually plumb quite a bit of everything while not touching my current system.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    look into a 3 pipe buffer piping Different from 2 pipe as it always involves some of the tank, 2 pipe does not
    Find a you tube by John Manning Direct to load hydronic piping
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Brewbeer
  • JakeCK
    > @hot_rod said:
    > look into a 3 pipe buffer piping Different from 2 pipe as it always involves some of the tank, 2 pipe does not
    > Find a you tube by John Manning Direct to load hydronic piping

Just watched his video. Interesting stuff, I might just have to do that. Some of that doesn't apply to my situation just because I'm still using a gas fired boiler. Although If I had 30k $ to spend on drilling a vertical loop for geo and the city/county would allow it I would certainly consider geothermal.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2019
    hot_rod said:

look into a 3 pipe buffer piping Different from 2 pipe as it always involves some of the tank, 2 pipe does not

Is there any reference to a 3 pipe buffer anywhere in Idronics?
    steve
  • hot_rod
    Just a little ditty about 3 pipe in Idronics 25.

A very common DHW storage tank has all the correct connections that you need. A 2" up top and two 2" on the bottom across from one another. Available from 50- hundreds of gallon sizes from most all tank manufacturers. Looks like ASME and non on these AO Smith 80 gallon.

I'd use a 2" cross up top, ala Ironman's idea. At least 1/2 of it.
    I could send some composite mesh to you to roll inside to turn that cross into 97% micro bubble removal device also :) Stick a high capacity float vent Caleffi 5023 or 551 on top of the cross add a discharge tube with adapter NA10204, to keep any mess off the top of the tank. A very simple to construct 3 pipe buffer.

A Boiler Buddy would work, but I like a top connection for both tank and system air scrubbing.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • JakeCK
    edited September 2019
    The second picture is close to what Im planning. Only I was going to use a 4 way mix mixing valve to allow ODR on supply temperature to the radiators. I've got a LOT of radiation in the house and can run low water temps 90% of the time. During that polar vortex last year I only got up to 160 degree supply temps. I think the outside temps got as low as -15 here. Normally they're much lower then what can cause condensation in the flue and lower then what is needed for dhw.

The turbomax seems to only have 1 1/4" boiler connections unless you go with the largest tank which is insane for my needs and that is still only 1 1/2"... Would that even work in a 3 pipe setup then? The reason I'm looking at the turbomax so strongly is because it is a buffer with a reverse indirect coil in it.

Heres an updated schematic with what I think you're suggesting.
  • hot_rod
    Piping is correct, use a swage nipple or bell reducer at the top of the tank and increase to 2" quickly. That short section of 2" becomes a hydraulic separation function.
    I don't think the short section of reduction into the tank will be a problem.

I've used electric water heater tanks 1" element holes with fitting increasers without any problem on two pipe tanks.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    JakeCK
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    hot_rod said:

I wonder what his program would say about this setup. I did this design a little while back. It is designed to do a complete thermal purge of both the HP and the buffer tank between each HP cycle, while maintaining the coldest possible return temp to the HP to further drive the efficiency.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Nice Harvey!
    What program do you use for drawing.
    steve
    Matt_67
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239

Nice Harvey!
    What program do you use for drawing.

Visio.
    Along with Caleffi, watts and tekmar stencils. That's enough to create almost any schematic.
    STEVEusaPARich_49
  • JakeCK
    edited October 2019
    I finally got around to downloading Hydronic Design Studio, did up a nice heatload on the house, and was playing with the buffer tank simulator. It looks like my idea to use a 36 gallon tank is insufficient, and I would be better off using a 48 gallon. Even then the smallest zone only runs the boiler for 8.5 minutes on a design day. But it could in theory go 16 hours between firing if that were the only zone to ever call for heat(not ever going to happen). However using a reverse indirect means I'm actually not too terribly oversized when it comes to DHW and heating demand on design days.

On a side note the heat loads show exactly why replacement windows are never worth it. :-P Wheres that door to doors salesman I told to pound salt when you need him... to tell him the error in his ways. lol

• JakeCK
    I added my basement to the heat loss which actually brought me up to almost 70k btus at design.
  • hot_rod
    I think what people miss with window upgrades is the change in infiltration. Seems the weather strip on all my windows leak as we determined with a blower door and smoke pen.
    A before and after blower door test would tell a better story I think, not just the small R value upgrade in the heatload input?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • JakeCK
    edited October 2019
    I ran the numbers with a 50% decrease in infiltration. At best one is looking at maybe a ~25% energy use reduction with that kind of upgrade. While that on the surface looks like a great gain, the ROI is horrible with the cost of replacement plastic windows and the longevity of them.

With my house I would be looking at a 59 yr payback. And plastic windows hardly last 20 years and I would probably be dead before I would see savings anyways. Insulating the house on the other hand gets me a 40% reduction and a ROI of less then 5 years.
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    Insulation merit depends on age and type of house. Blowing in loose cellulose insulation into older house walls can be a mistake. Remember most heat is lost through the roof so insulate attic 1st
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Good windows give you a comfort level that a heat loss calc won't quantify. Having good windows makes your room effectively bigger (when it's cold out) since you can sit next to a pane of glass without feeling the heat sucked out of body. You won't get the money back in energy savings but the comfort is worth something especially, if it's a room you spend a lot of time sitting in.
  • JakeCK
    > @SuperJ said:
    > Good windows give you a comfort level that a heat loss calc won't quantify. Having good windows makes your room effectively bigger (when it's cold out) since you can sit next to a pane of glass without feeling the heat sucked out of body. You won't get the money back in energy savings but the comfort is worth something especially, if it's a room you spend a lot of time sitting in.

I beg to differ, I restored the front three windows in the living room shortly after I bought the house and bought new triple track storms. I have my couch in front of them now. With the new storms and weather stripping I can have the blinds and curtains open on the coldest day and feel perfectly comfortable with no drafts or chill. These are 90 year old 6 over 6 double hung wood windows. They are all unpainted and laquerd and beautiful. The master bed room has two replacement plastic windows that are trash, leak worse then the restored ones and will probably end up getting replaced before long,.
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    JakeCK said:

> @SuperJ said:

> Good windows give you a comfort level that a heat loss calc won't quantify. Having good windows makes your room effectively bigger (when it's cold out) since you can sit next to a pane of glass without feeling the heat sucked out of body. You won't get the money back in energy savings but the comfort is worth something especially, if it's a room you spend a lot of time sitting in.

I beg to differ, I restored the front three windows in the living room shortly after I bought the house and bought new triple track storms. I have my couch in front of them now. With the new storms and weather stripping I can have the blinds and curtains open on the coldest day and feel perfectly comfortable with no drafts or chill. These are 90 year old 6 over 6 double hung wood windows. They are all unpainted and laquerd and beautiful. The master bed room has two replacement plastic windows that are trash, leak worse then the restored ones and will probably end up getting replaced before long,.

I'll agree, but I think we're saying the same thing. Good windows equal good comfort, but I'll grant they don't have to be expensive new windows to be good. Good sealing, and storms go a long way.
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    edited October 2019
    > @Docfletcher said:
    > Insulation merit depends on age and type of house. Blowing in loose cellulose insulation into older house walls can be a mistake. Remember most heat is lost through the roof so insulate attic 1st

I've always heard that about ceilings but when I played with the numbers even with out insulation I still lost more heat through the walls then the ceiling by a few thousand btus. As it is right now I have 6" of blown fiberglass up there now. I couldn't add more unless I built another frame and floor on top of my current one. It is a full walkup with tongue and grove floor. Could actually be finished to code if I put in larger windows for egress. I've also heard certain kinds of insulation can cause moisture problems and paint failure on the outside of walls. But have heard conflicting info about dense pack because of its airsealing capability.
  • Docfletcher
    Docfletcher Member Posts: 487
    edited October 2019
    Here is a link that may help. It's good reading for anyone. By the way I did replace all my windows myself with new construction type and I'm so glad I did. The whole house holds heat better and is more comfortable. Proper storm windows caulked/sealed correctly are almost as good as double pane glass thermo, but in real life they are never sealed correctly (IMO).

http://bobyapp.com/blog/2009/06/myths-about-insulating-old-house-walls
  • JakeCK
    edited October 2019
    I've read that article before, and question the validity of the authors statements. The part about 4mil plastic sheeting for a vapor barrier for example is commonly found but also found to be next to worthless after all the penetrations for outlets and switches boxes are cut plus all the holes from nails. A more effective way to control condensation is to raise the temperature of the first condensing surface aboce the dewpoint using insulation outside of the sheathing.

BSC is a source of of good info backed by science and exprimentation. https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-043-dont-be-dense