Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HTP MODCON 850

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
I'm working on one that has an intermittent error code F16 (flapper stuck open). I pulled the fan motor off and inspected the flapper. No visible damage. I tested the switch on the flapper by manually opening and closing the flapper. It's working fine. HTP says the venting on the unit is fine, i'm not sure I agree. The terminations in the attached photos are as follows, tee on the exhaust, downturned 90 on the inlet. The 2 pipes without any fittings are not connected to anything.
HTP recommends replacing the burner assembly. It's an expensive part.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    I'm with you, don't like the terminations. You are definitely bringing in exhaust through the intake. I'd move the intake elbows close to the building. Don't let them be any closer than 18" from the exhaust. Would also suggest the exhaust with a 90 up and then a horizontal tee. This should take all the exhaust away from the intakes, and move them further apart.
    D
    Harvey Ramer
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Inlet and outlets are too close together. HTP allows you to go up vertically several feet and more, then put a 45 with one foot of pipe. It prevents the combustion air from asperating combustion gases that screws up the fan and ignition system.
    Harvey Ramer
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    edited September 2019
    I see a real possibility for cross-contamination. Please email me direct at tim.white@htproducts if you continue to have issues after separating the intake and the exhaust or if you have any further questions or concerns. Glad to personally help. I will need model and serial numbers.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
    Rich_49Harvey Ramer
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Timco said:

I see a real possibility for cross-contamination. Please email me direct at tim.white@htproducts if you continue to have issues after separating the intake and the exhaust or if you have any further questions or concerns. Glad to personally help. I will need model and serial numbers.

Tim

Thanks Tim! I'll be in touch if I need further assistance.