Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Left-Hand Close Nipple?

Harry_6
Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
Greetings,

Despite my best efforts I recently accidentally cut a plug out of a cast-iron wall-style flat radiator and discovered to my displeasure that I had removed one of the left-hand threaded (1-1/2") plugs. Now I know one can find L-R nipples and couplings, but this radiator is located in a niche in the wall just big enough for the radiator and some elbows. There is not enough room for a 4" L-R nipple (let alone the Ugly factor), but I could fit a 1-1/2" x close nipple, if one existed, and a 90. But does one exist? I can't find it. But I assume that's what they use when they assemble the sections of new radiators at the factory - so they do exist somewhere. And I have seen L-R "hex" fittings, but not NPT. I also thought of buying a L-R 4" nipple and cutting and threading it down on a pipe machine, but the logistics don't really work out. So what do the assembled geniuses who read this think?

PS - As a last resort I had wondered if I could bust up an old radiator for the L-R nipple, which ought to be 1-1/2", but that seems like an act of desperation. And of course no one makes a L-R plug either.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, This idea may be an act of desperation also, but how about cutting the proper threads from a left-right nipple and welding a cap on the cut end? That would give you something to wrench on as well.

Yours, Larry
    Intplm.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    Any machine shop with a thread cutting lathe could make one for you. The lathe should have a taper attachment, set to 3/4" per foot.

On a lathe, it's just as easy to cut left hand threads as it is to cut right hand threads. Only difference is what direction the cutting tool travels.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    buy the 4" l-r nipple and have a welding shop cut and weld it back together shorter
  • Harry_6
    Harry_6 Member Posts: 141
    Thanks. All good ideas. Though I'm a little concerned that welding so close to the threads on such a small item, that the heat might distort it. Any others?
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Try Shafter in Montreal but be prepared to pay!
    Canucker
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hi, If welding is a concern, you might try brazing. Perhaps buy two, so you can afford to ruin one! :p

Yours, Larry
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I’ve successfully repaired cut threads by using Hercules Pro-Poxy 20. Fill in the slice with a thin layer of the propoxy then run a nipple through the threads with a big wrench. It’s worked for me more than once.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes