Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Feedback on new boiler system

jbrew2
jbrew2 Member Posts: 4
I'm having a new boiler installed and I think the plumber is in a little over his head. I've read a bunch of Caleffi's articles and bought John Seigenthaler's book to try and become informed on hydronic systems. I'm concerned that there is not enough pipe length before and after circulators. Also, should the spirovent, dirt separator and water supply/expansion tank be down by the boiler? He's not finished yet, but I imagine now is the time to fix any issues. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    It's not nice to hire a contractor, take sneaky pics then tell him how to do his job. Did you ask for references or see before and after pics of his or her installations? That would've been the time to post, not while they're knee deep in it.
    GroundUp
  • jbrew2
    I'm not trying to be sneaky. I've used this plumber before and have always been happy with him, just never for heating. I certainly didn't do my due diligence. Just wondering what other plumbers and HVAC professionals thoughts are. Obviously I don't know a whole lot about it. Just enough to not be totally satisfied with "it should work fine". I'm not looking to be mean or sling mud, just a little feedback.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Jbrew2

I see it from both perspectives. That said, sure this is "the time" to make changes but nothing there seems like its worth starting that fight over. It will work well and be fine from the pics I see. He is giving you some nice future maintenance items that will be really handy. I get what you are trying to do, but you are being a little like the guy who shows up an hour after the car purchase to tell the salesman what he doesnt like, instead before the purchase.

IMO

Tom
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • jbrew2
    Thanks Tom, I'm sorry I came off that way. The reason I think he's in a little over his head is because he as much as told me. If something needs to be changed I'd certainly pay him to do it. I don't want to be that guy. I'm not really concerned about the money so much as the final product.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    There are many pics posted of tighter jobs, including packaged units that appear to be impossible to have enough room to change any component. Keep in mind if you scale out most of the diagrams in Caleffi & Siggys book, most mechanical rooms would have to have a 10' long x 8' high wall for all the components.
    The plumber seems to be very skilled. If he is a little unsure, maybe both of you take a step back. Either share/discuss what you see in Caleffi Idronics and/or find a hydronic design person to go over the design.
    steve
    jbrew2Canucker
  • jbrew2
    Thanks for your advice Steve. I spoke with the plumber this morning and showed him the attached diagram;
    he said he thought that the air would be scrubbed sufficiently from the system and there wouldn't be any issues with it's location, but he's happy to switch stuff around if it makes me happy (plus more money for him :) ) . We have a great working relationship and there isn't any bad blood. I'm just curious if any of you guys think the system would perform better if a couple things were moved. I'm super impressed with all the collective knowledge on this forum. After reading Siggy's book I'm thinking about quitting my job to go into hydronics. :) If you guys think everything is fine and will perform adaquately I'll probably just stick with the way it is.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    I wouldn't change it. At the most and I wouldnt, put the dirt separator on the return to the boiler..
    jbrew2