Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Extended warranty

Options
Pumpguy
Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
Do any of the contractors here offer their customers an extended warranty on a boiler or similar equipment install, a warranty that is longer than that of the equipment supplier or manufacturer?

If yes, how do you price this extended warranty, and what are your terms and conditions?
Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I wouldn’t buy one, so I would never offer one to my customers.
    steve
  • Pumpguy
    Options
    @STEVEusaPA , I agree with you completely, and neither would/have I. Unfortunately, my customer is insisting on my offering an extended warranty.

Never having been in this position before, I'm trying to get a feel for how others have handled this.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    My experience with an extended warranty on a modern washing machine is both good, and bad:
    The cost of replacement parts, (mostly electronic boards), is high, and covered by the warranty, so that is good.
    The procedure of having the warranty company approve every step along the way is bad. That means a repair will take longer-in my case 6 weeks, for 3 visits, replacing 2 boards. Luckily it had worked during that time-just not so well.
    Why not sell the customer a spare boiler, which can be cannabalized later on? Most warranties have the provision for a deductible cost for each repair during the lifetime of the warranty, and that could be the cost of swapping the parts.—NBC
  • Pumpguy
    Options
    This is for a new duplex vacuum pump to replace the original 1920s vintage pump which is original to the house; my only residential customer.

This equipment is extremely reliable, so a claim isn't very likely. That said, Murphy is always lurking in the shadows and since the customer is insisting, and I have to take the risk, I might as well get paid for it.

Just curious what others think?

• mark schofield
    mark schofield Member Posts: 153
    Options
    my oil company, which also does installs, offers a comfort plan. It includes a yearly cleaning/maintenance and tuneup. And coverage for all the parts - pumps, electronics, zone valves, expansion tanks, ect.
  • Pumpguy
    Options
    Thanks @mark schofield. Can you give me some idea of the basis for the pricing for this plan? Not asking for exact dollar amount, just some idea of how the price is arrived at?

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Extended warranties are strictly for manufacturers to offer . They built it , they should be the only one to gamble it'll last for a few extra years .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    GroundUp
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I would only extend what the original manufacturer was offering, which is probably not complete new replacement and labor.

Some people have to have them, and I have a couple of customers (maybe 5?) who do. I explain the pros and cons, tell them the cost, let them decide. I can’t even recall the last time I had to honor one. I guess if I were a 'good' business person I’d offer them to all my customers as it’s a real money maker.
    For example I have about 350 residential oil customers. Last sept 1 to today I had 19 service calls. Some were bleeding radiators, some thermostats. The rest were an equal mix of primary controls, ignitors, a circ or two, 2 zone valves and an expansion tank.
    More components get replaced during annual tuneups.

If that’s what they insist they want, maybe extend 5 years longer & 15% of total cost of job per year, if you’re totally comfortable with the probability it will last that long.
    steve
  • Keith M
    Keith M Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Slant/Fin residential high efficiency boilers come with a 5 year parts and labor warranty. Slant/Fin residential cast iron boilers can also get a 5 year parts and labor warranty thru Slant/Fin HydroMaster contractors. The HydroMaster program is available ONLY thru HydroMaster contractors.
    Slant/Fin administers BOTH programs thru our technical services department. So, you will not be passed off to a third party. I repeat, both 5 year extended programs are administered thru Slant/Fin's technical services department and not a "warranty company".
    Both programs are a little different. Either call us directly or speak with your local Slant/Fin rep for more details.
    Keith Muhlmeister
    Slant/Fin Corporation
    516 484 2600 ext. 367
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited August 2019
    Options
    This is a pretty standard nonsense agreement. Your annual plan doesn’t include a cleaning, or even a cleaning 'if needed'. And I doubt they are doing some of the other stuff.
    Also #7 is mis-worded as I doubt they are replacing a fuel pump every year.
    One thing that is always ambiguous in these standard agreements is that it states you are covered for one year, parts and service.
    If next year when you renew and before the past year is up they find your transformer is weak and needs replacement, do they cover it because the year is not up? So imagine how profitable these plans are for the company.
    Also 'during the heating season' is interesting. Look at the many components being used by the AC on a furnace. If any of them fail, they won’t cover. So no hot water if it’s not in the heating season is not a 24-7 service call. If your hot water isn’t working at 5pm on Friday, no hot showers until Monday after 7:30 am?
    Like I said, very profitable for the company.
    steve
  • Pumpguy
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thanks for the above comments.

My post was not about the pros and cons of extended warranties, or or service contracts, or how and by whom they might be administered and actually carried out.

My post was a request for a pricing basis. I.E. for a given total job value, and a set period of time, what pricing basis for an extended warranty would be fair to both me and the customer?

I have some ideas, but since I've never been there before, I'm curious what others think, or have actually done?

Thanks for all input.

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Hi @Pumpguy, How about calling your insurance company and ask if they could come up with a price to insure against failure. That could be the number you’re looking for.
    Yours, Larry
    Rich_49Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Pumpguy
    Options
    @Larry Weingarten, Hmm...., interesting Idea. I never thought of that. I'll give them a call, and see what they say.

Thanks for this idea.