Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Close-coupled in-line circulator mounting positions

RPK
RPK Member Posts: 98
edited July 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Is this an acceptable orientation for this pump? 3HP, Armstrong Series 4380. I’m not used to seeing circulators this large mounted this way. The installation manual says these pumps (up to 15HP) can be mounted with shaft horizontal, but only shows a picture of a pump installed on vertical pipe. I accidentally posted the wrong picture last night... here’s the one I meant to post.

Comments

• RPK
    I accidentally posted the wrong picture last night (of a pump mounted with vertical shaft). The correct picture is there now.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Some installers prefer the wiring terminal box on the top
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I would clock the motor 180 degrees so the wiring is on top. I know Taco specifically forbids the box at the 6:00 position like that, I'm sure others do as well.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • RPK
    What is the reasoning behind keeping the box on top? Just to minimize chances of the box getting wet in case of a leak?
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 851
    This pump appears to be a "vertical" type pump. Not sure why one would specify or design a system with vertical pumps, only to be installed horizontally? On the jobs that we installed or serviced vertical inline pumps they were typically tight on space and these pumps took up less horizontal space (especially compared to base mounted pumps). One of the reasons I am not a fan of these vertical pumps is they almost always require a ladder to service them. Another common problem with the larger versions (say 10 or 15 hp), we try to use rigging to raise and lower the pumps/motors only to find that we cannot get an extension ladder in between the pipes or duct-work to get to the steel framing above the pumps.

In this particular case, I suspect the designer did not plan on having what appears to be duct-work right on top of this pump. I'm thinking the pump installer was forced to mount the motor/veloute sideways due to the tight clearance.
    RPKSolid_Fuel_Man
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 233
    Taco does suggest if a Taco Vertical In-line pump like our KV series you can mount horizontal. Here is the link for our IOM on KV series. But to be on the safe side I would contact Armstrong for their advice. Also you never want the motor box at 6 o'clock in case of water or condensation getting inside the the motor box.
    http://apps.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/302-031_KV_IOM.PDF
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 233
    That is up to 15HP motor.
  • RPK
    ScottSecor, yes I believe this was due to an issue with clearance between the motor and ductwork above. There are many more in-line pumps of this style on the job and this is the only one mounted in this fashion.

SteveSan, good point about condensation, especially in this case as this pump is on chiller water.

Thank you everyone for the comments.
    icy78