Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace pilot flame high, maybe melting something in furnace?

amccour
amccour Member Posts: 5
Recently moved into an apartment, was looking at the pilot light the other day, and I noticed that it was yellow and pretty high which I understand is an issue in and of itself. Looking at it again, it also kind of looks like it's... burning or melting something off of a round piece above it.

I'm putting in a work order with property management for this, but I'm not very familiar with gas furnaces and was wondering if anyone might have an idea what's going on here. Is this actually a problem? What additional details would I want to mention beyond the pilot light looking strange?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Post a pic using the flash. Cant really see what that is. It almost looks like two pilot assemblies. I can barely make out what looks to be a thermocouple attached to the bottom assembly but I cant see the top piece too well.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    The pilot is dirty and needs cleaning and maybe an adjustment
    amccour
  • amccour
    Hi HVACNUT,

Sorry for the poor quality -- not exactly sure how to get the access panel off so I had to take this through the slats. Hopefully the lighting is better in this one.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    @EBEBRATT-Ed nailed it. The pilot flame should be just 'licking' the burner tube. The assembly needs to be cleaned and/or adjusted. Make sure they dont drag their feet getting to the repair.
  • amccour
    edited June 2019
    They cleaned the pilot assembly and replaced the, er, spigot? for the pilot. The flame is the right size, pointing in the right direction, and mostly blue.

However, I am noticing that it's still got a lot of... intermittent, sparky yellow streaks in it, and it's making a crackling noise. Any idea what that might be?