Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baxi direct hot water only when TWO faucets are running?

jmb_USA
jmb_USA Member Posts: 3
I have a Baxi Luna DuoTec 40GA. Here's what I've discovered: When I run the kitchen tap alone, there's no call for hot water. Nothing registers on the boiler. It's as if I haven't turned on the water. But if i run the kitchen tap AND the bathroom tap simultaneously, boiler fires right up and runs hot water to both no problem. Similarly, running only the shower [head] will not trigger a call for HW. But the shower head AND a faucet will immediately fire up the boiler and produce HW continuously. Running the bathtub spout alone is enough (volume?) to trigger the DHW. Any theories? It seems clear that the system now needs a minimum to fire up.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Flow restrictors in the faucet and shower head?
  • If it's like the older Baxi Luna's, there's a rubber diaphragm that responds to the flow of water, pushing a micro-switch that turns on the burner. The diaphragm can start to tear and no longer respond.

Call Marathon at (800)461-4657 for troubleshooting.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    jmb_USA
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    I am assuming this is a new problem and the heater has worked properly in the past.

there is a minimum flow required for the heater to start, often there is a filter on the cold inlet that can be cleaned and this may solve your problem and be a easy fix.

Could be a bad flow sensor as well.
    Try cleaning the filter and see what happens.
  • jmb_USA
    Thanks for the guidance. Any chance you could point to that diaphragm and that cold inlet filter on my parts diagram/list: https://www.baxiboilers.com/sites/default/files/PN 240012356 DuoTec 40GA 1.33GA Spare Parts Catalog 7-15-18.pdf
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Looks like the blown up section B on the first diagram page has the assembly for the filter. follow your cold water supply to the unit and you should find it.
    jmb_USA
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited June 2019
    Jellis is correct.

There's no diaphragm on these newer models. Look for part #624 on the first diagram, about 3/4 of the way down, close to the center of the page. It should have a solid red light when there's a hot water demand. If it flickers or is not on, order part 632130 (filter assembly) and then call that number that I gave you above for instructions. Under part 624, there's a nut you have to remove (18 mm or a small crescent) to replace the filter and if it breaks, you will have to replace the whole dang thing.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    jmb_USAJellis
  • jmb_USA
    Thanks for the guidance. The 632130 recommendation was spot on. Just swapped it out and all is well again. Cheers!
    Jellis