Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Oil Boiler

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
edited April 2019 in Oil Heating
I took a look at this one last week in Jessup, MD. I have never seen this one before. International Heater Co. Utica, NY

Any idea how old this is?

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    Dan, I can only guess but I would say between 1950 and 1970. I'm basing this on the flow control, the isolation valve, fittings, etc.

Is it a steel fire tube boiler or just an odd shaped cast iron sectional? Assuming it's a steel fire tube boiler and you plan on removing it, be prepared to spend a lot of time cutting it into pieces if necessary to remove it.
  • Dan Foley
    Thanks, Scott. It is a steel fire tube. If we get the job, I will bring in a welder to cut it up for removal.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    can i buy the name plate off the front? :)
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    What's the firing rate on that?
    Do I count 12 zones?
    I've collected oil burner nameplates since I started. 52 in all. Very hard to come by now near me.
    I dont remember the model International boiler but it wasn't an igloo.
    From the model 45 in my pic, I think the the burner was a rebadged Sunray FC134.
    Good luck with your bid.
    Intplm.Dan Foleymattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @HVACNUT I think I have an "Iron Fireman" burner nameplate I can mail it if you want it. PM me your address. Have to look and see if I still have it.

@Dan Foley
    Its steel for sure and not that bad to cut up once you do the first one. The trick is in the fire tubes. You take a torch and cut through the tube sheet around the circumfrence of the tube.

I am wondering if it is a scotch marine like with water all around it? But I am thinking more like a steel firebox with refractory on the bottom
    Dan Foley
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited April 2019
    The burner is a replacement Carlin, probably a 100CRD or 200CRD. I think that boiler is no younger/newer than early 1950's, maybe even later 40's.
    steve
    Dan Foley
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    @STEVEusaPA
    I guess my S8 has decent zoom. It is a 100 CRD.
    Nice primary too. I'm not sticking my finger in that hole. Fool me once...
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    LOL, my Dad used to mount the control upside down, and put the cover on right side up, so if you pushed the button, nothing would happen.
    steve
    HVACNUTDan Foley
  • Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Hi Dan, I'm from the Utica area, and worked on a lot of these, they were referred to as the "doghouse" boilers. they originally had the old Beckett Commodore burner in them. I think when you remove the front jacket piece you'll find a round cast iron boiler with four cleanout covers on it. used to take a good three hours to do a thorough cleanup.In the rear of the bottom cleanouts I used to find a very hard yellowish deposit, this was probably be around 1961ish. I didin't know what it was, what would an 18 year old kid know anyhow. Dad said clean so I did.Looking back over the years I actually think it was sustained flue gas condensation. This was almost a three pass design. I'd be interested to know what you find. Hope this helps. By the way is my old friend Harvey by any chance still with you?
    Dan FoleyErin Holohan Haskell
  • Dan Foley
    @Pughie1

Thanks for the great info. I assumed it was steel but I was just there for a survey. I did not pull open the jacket. If I get this one I will report back.

Harvey was great but he moved on a couple of years ago. Last I heard he was in Florida.
  • Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Thanks for getting back Dan. I've known Harvey a long time, great craftsman still see his jobs around. He & John Siegenthaler worked as a great team up here