Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Evap "wetter"?

I recall reading something about a company having issues with water dripping off of their evaps so they started telling guys to use some product that caused the water to cling to the coil. I think it might have been Carrier and I thought it was referred to as a wetter product.

Does anyone recall something like this?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited April 2019
    Sounds like a surfactant. Helps change surface tension. Sink dish washing soap might be same.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Liquid Dawn mix sprayed corrected a water throw off problem on a counterflow furnace A-coil.
    Some I&O manuals for AC recommended spraying the inside coil with soap as such. It said that optimal performance would not be reached until the oil was washed off of the coil, which could take weeks.....you are past that stage.
    But that soap will give you "wetter water" which clings to surfaces.
    Spray a "wetter water" mix on fires and the water clings to avoid reignition of the surface.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    I'm guessing that soap over a short period will wash off, and I'll be back where I started though?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Leonard
    edited April 2019
    Guessing need a SMALL "constant" drip of new surfactant, but no experience with it.

Guessing air velocity is too high maybe, and blowing water off evap??

With my 20k window A/C I found when it sprayed water out with cool air into room the condensate pan drain was plugged. Guess fan touched the condensate and flung it. Fan on hot side swirled dirt and piled it up on drain tube outlet. Previously I worked on it and didn't replace a baffle in correct position.

Is condensate pan level? Seen roof HVAC where roof curb was not shimmed even close to level specs, and in wrong direction. Condensate spilled out of pan and drained into building rather than out drain tube. Didn't help that drain didn't have a U-tube ..... Chinese restaurant DIY :o:(
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    @Leonard
    Much much more complicated than that.

Please take time to read through this entire thread to get a good understanding of the issue. It sucks......

https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/165078/horizontal-air-handler-condensate-issue#latest

• Leonard
    edited April 2019
    Guys here have more experience with this stuff than I do.

But If I was engineer designing it not knowing any better I might have turned the A coils 90 degs so condensate would not have opportunity to fight air flow and drip off the top coil/fin assembly.

But I have no experience with oil on coil issues.

I assume you got a good deal on it and can't return it as a defective design??
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    ChrisJ, in my case the soap was applied 3 years ago and no call back. This is a retired person who would notice that drip in the basement.
    If it worked for you and you had to renew the spray every year it forces you to inspect the coil annually.